transplanting bamboo

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by miker, Aug 28, 2004.

1. miker

miker Member

Hello:

I am interested in knowing how to transplant bamboo from stems or roots. I have amazing bamboo growing in my yard in Kits and I want to pot some of it. I have tried root cuttings and it doesn't seem to work.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Michael
    mrouse@mdi.ca

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

if you could ID the variety you may get some more specific info but, the bamboos that I have split and transplanted it is quite simple, take machete or spade and sever a section of stems with roots attached, place the aforementioned chunk of plant material in ground or pot. enjoy. Time of year was early Spring.

3. September is a good month for dividing bamboos. Aim to get solid, sodlike divisons and replant promptly, exposure to air quickly dries their roots and is detrimental.

Some tropical bamboos will root from stem cuttings, but hardy bamboos (any and all that overwinter outdoors in Vancouver) can be grown only from seeds (rarely produced) and division.

In case you happen to be asking about one of the others, something that happens rather often, the bamboos being discussed here are evergreen woody grasses. The herbaceous (tops die down each fall) "bamboo" with jointed stems and heart-shaped leaves is a pest species in this area, better sprayed with herbicide than propagated. The lucky bamboo house plant is Dracaena sanderiana, like the previous not even in the grass family, let alone a true bamboo.