Transplanting a lilac

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Unregistered, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Hi there,
    Can anyone provide some advice on transplanting a lilac tree? It was given to me as a gift after my mother died 7 years ago and we've just moved. I know Fall is a good time to transplant but am not sure if my hisband and I can handle thisourselves ordo we ned a professional. Specific questions include: what kind of diameter around the trunk should we be diggin from - and what we use when replanting it on our new lawn (which is actually several loads of new top soil atthe moment (brand new home). Our sod arrives next week.
    The tree is probably 12 feet high and the trunk is about four inches wide.
    Thanks!

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Dormant season is good to move trees although if it does show signs of shock next year it may be a sacrifice of blooms. The general rule of thumb for rootball size is 1 foot wide rootball to 1 inch caliper of trunk (approx 12 inches above ground level). Replant it at the same grade that is is now, do not bury the stem. Use a good handful or two of bonemeal in the bottom of the new planting hole to help the roots get a good start. Check the drainage of the new soil location, dig a hole about 18 to 20 inches deep and see what soil type is there and what the moisture is like. Try here: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.asp for a good description and diagram of appropriate planting methods for trees. At four inch trunk and 12 feet high you may want to consider a professional (at the least get a quote and see what it is worth) Tree moving rates can be pricey depending on if they intend on using a bobcat with a tree spade or other machinery, for a tree like you describe you may be looking in the $350 or more range. You also have to consider if you can get a machine to the tree without having to tear a fence panel out.