Tough Winter for Italian Cypress

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by portlandrose, Apr 20, 2009.

1. portlandrose

portlandrose Member

We had an unusually cold, snowy winter in Oregon. My Italian Cypress really took a beating from both the cold and wind. The south side of my cypress trees that are most exposed to the winds seem to have a "cold burn" on the branches. There is some new growth coming out at the base of the branches. I'm wondering what to do. I have fertilized the trees, but not sure if I should clip the branches down to their new growth and let the new growth branch out, or leave them alone and hope the brown, dry stuff eventually falls off the branch and new growth will come further out the branch. Also, what's the best way to regain the original pencil shape of the tree after a winter of harsh winds? I have tied twine loosely every two feet or so to help retain the upward shape. Is this a good idea, or now that our weather is calmer, will they return naturally to their original shape? I appreciate your advice.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If green behind I wouldn't bother with clipping off the burned exterior. I would consider whether I wanted to keep bothering with a specimen that both got frosted on my site and splayed open.

For naturally more compact growth you might want to try the Tiny Tower variety sent to garden centers by Monrovia nursery.