Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by rebeccahorse, Jul 24, 2006.

1. rebeccahorse

rebeccahorse Active Member

How do you get your tomatoe plants to grow faster?

2. Buzzbee

Buzzbee Active Member

I can tell you that they like lots of water, and we fertilize weekly.I am using a specific fertilizer for tomatoes made by Miracle Grow for the second year in a row. Before that, whatever was handy.
    We are having a heat wave right now, and I am watering them twice a day. Normally they get it once a day, but a lot of water.
    Last year we tried something new to us, placing a red saucer type thing under the plant, the red brings a bigger yield. We have a huge yield of tomatoes. We planted two plants only and have 5 volunteers from last year. We are eating the cherry type already.

These red saucers we purchased from a shop called Lee Valley.
    they are available on their website,.leevalley.com.They ship all over the world. We are also using long stainless spirals for the tomatoes to climb on rather than cages, this has really helped too. They came from the same supplier.
    I plant marigolds in front of the tomatoes to stop insects and that really works too.