tomatoes indoors

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by amogles, Nov 6, 2007.

1. amogles

amogles Member

Does anybody have experience with growing tomatoes indoors?

A couple of years back I had a tomate that sprouted out of some compost in a pot in my appartment. Seeing that the previous occupant of that pot had recently dies I decided to leave it. This was in the autumn, so not really the season for planting tomatoes. However, a neighbour who saw the plant told me to keep it and said tomatoes when grown indoors will keep going forever and will flower and fruit independently of the season. I took this with a pinch of salt but it turned out he was right. I had fresh tomatoes (albeit very small) ones all through the winter and the plant simply exploded with them when repotted next spring. I pruned it back the next autumn but it just kept going. I think it lasted over two years before the mites finally got it. I also replanted the cuttings and moved several of these outside in the Spring where they also flowered and fruited and also gave cuttings to other people so quite possibly some may still be alive today.

Has anybody had similar experiences.

Sadly, all attempts to repeat the experiment have failed.

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Sounds good! Tomatoes and peppers are perennials in theory at least...tho not in my garden :-)

At our latitude here, the low light levels are the problem. Actually a large greenhouse operation near me tried to grow winter tomatoes once, and the guy lost his shirt on it. He spent a huge amount to heat the houses, but the plants were sickly and hardly fruited, thanks to the aforementioned lack of light (both short day-length, and weakness of the sun in winter). And the mites were also a major challenge by the look of his plants!

I believe you're a bit south of me (49N here) and might have less cloud in winter (?)...that would all be helpful for this kind of project.