Tomato fruitworm

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by itlajfk, May 17, 2009.

1. itlajfk

itlajfk Member

Last year, I planted 4 different types of heirloom tomatoes, a total of about 60 plants. I had never grown tomatoes before, so I applied all the techniques I had picked up from this site and other reading.

The plants were beautiful, fruit production was prolific. THEN, I started to notice that a number of my beautiful tomatoes had nasty holes in them. I cut one in half and found this disgusting creepy crawly thing inside. I took the whole mess to our local garden center where I was informed I had tomato fruitworm. They recommended spraying with BTK early in the season. Hence, my question(s).

I realize that this pest comes from the egg of a moth that are laid on either the flower, or the fruit at its earliest stage of development (not sure which). At what point do I spray? How frequently should I spray? At what point is it safe to stop spraying? Do these moths just keep laying eggs throughout the whole growing season or is there a particular part of the summer where they lay more eggs ? I have two types of indeterminates and one determinate.

Once again, thanks in advance for your advice,

Jo-Ann

2. JanR

JanR Active Member

I would keep a close eye on your tomatoes and as soon as you see caterpillars, spray with BTK. There is not point in spraying unless the caterpillars are feeding.

Good luck!

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I have never had the tomato fruit worm. It sure appears to be a nasty. In fact, almost nothing attacks my tomato plants, touch wood.