Tomato burglers!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by sgtmama, Jun 15, 2007.

1. sgtmama

sgtmama Member

I need help before my tomatoes ripen. Last year we had a bumper crop of tomatoes on 4 plants, and we only got to eat ONE! The squirrels got all the rest. Just before the the tomatoes were ready to eat they would completely disappear or would still be on the stem with tell-tale tooth marks. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping these little varmits away short of squirrel stew? (Although I did think of it, there are so many I'd have to invite the neighborhood for dinner.) Since my yard is part rock and part clay I have the plants in half-barrels and the plants are very healthy. Is there something I could cover them with that would let the sun in and keep the squirrels out or is there something that will just keep them away?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

You can cover them with chicken wire or one of those strong plastic nets used to keep birds off fruit trees. You have to really seal it to keep the varmints out. I used the plastic net, but it was hard to cover thoroughly and still get access to the tomatoes. Also I found a dead bird tangled in it, which was not part of my plan.