To Deadhead or not to Deadhead?

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by lorax, Jul 21, 2007.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Hi, I've got this lovely orchid blooming happily on its coral tree, but I'm wondering if I need to deadhead it or leave it intact to develop? I'm interested in what's going to be healthiest for it.

This is my first experience with orchids and i"m just thrilled to see it blooming. If anybody knows what it is, I'd appreciate knowing. As the days go by, it seems to be getting pinker. How long will it last? It's currently on its third day and going strong. The pic is from yesterday (Day 2)

Thanks in advance, guys!

Attached Files:

2. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

It is a cattleya. Leave it alone. This type of orchid loves height and they will give you flowers often if you achieve the height requirement.

3. lorax

Well, I'm at about 1800m above sea level, if that's what you mean. The plant itself is about 1.5m off the ground on top of a chunk of coral tree.

4. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I can't grow that orchid outdoors myself but I rarely recommend cutting off flowers before there're finished (in the case where a plant is in failing health). I'd enjoy those flowers as long as they last and then they usually go brown and fall off (stem can be cut too). With an orchid like this you may find that the seed pod (ovary at the base of the flower) begins to swell if it has been pollinated. At this point you can remove flower stalk to direct plant energy into the next growth cycle or let develop for many months to produce seed and send to flasking service (advanced orchid propigation, not for beginners or those lacking patience like myself).
    I should also say that is beautiful plant and flower and I'm jealous of your ability to grow this outside. My Cattleya hybrid flowers generally last 2-4 weeks inside.

Shaun

5. lorax

Sheesh, Yellowknife. And I thought I came from the frozen North...