Tips of branches (new leaves) drying up

Discussion in 'Maples' started by zinzara, May 17, 2007.

1. zinzara

zinzara Member

Hi all.

I have a Shindeshojo JM which is new to my garden. I planted it carefully, it is a mature tree (about 5' tall and 6' wide) and was almost fully leafed out when I planted it. It is in a partly shaded position, and only gets direct sun in the early afternoon for about 2 hours.

It has been in the ground for about 3 weeks now. I have noticed in the last week that the tips of all the branches where new baby leaves were unfolding have shrivelled and dried up!

We did have the first hot days of the year here over the last week. I have been watering the tree twice weekly as per instructions. What could be causing this? Is it just the sun exposure? Will the tree "get used to it" or "harden off"?

Any insight is appreciated.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Zinzara I have this problem whit my Pectinatum Alice, I think that the hot wind is the cause,I see the leaves ok when the sun is off good luck.alex

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Any frosts at this time?

4. zinzara

zinzara Member

No frost, but a couple of quite hot days.

5. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Most new trees of that size were field grown and dug just before they were shipped. No matter how well it was dug, many of it's roots were cut. The tree has reduced roots to take up water from the ground. It will take a year or so for your tree to grow new roots to replace the ones that were cut. In the mean time you must baby your new tree and see that the rootball doesn't dry out this summer.

Dale B.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pathogenic infections are common on Japanese maples these days, accounting for much dieback (and death!) also. If it starts to blight off maybe take samples to local government agricultural office, if they provide the same testing and diagnosis services we have been able to get in the past down here from Cooperative Extension.

New roots are made in spring, existing roots elongate primarily in fall. Healthy plant makes enough root growth first fall for normal rate of top growth to resume second spring (where bare-rooting or balling in burlap has resulted in most roots being cut back prior to purchase, resulting in sub-normal top growth first spring and summer after purchase).

7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Watering the leaves, when shaded, may help some, if not already doing so. Leaves can absorb the water faster than from the roots.

8. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my Alice dead today sig!

9. zinzara

zinzara Member

Thank you so much everyone. I suspected that it was probably an issue of so much growth (huge amount of leafing, like no other JM I've seen before to be honest) and a root ball that couldn't support that. The tree has not gotten any worse, and all half emerged leaves that did not shrivel up and die, have gone on to open up and look healthy. The tree is now changing to it's summer green color and is looking ok (except for leaf-less tips). I have instinctively been watering it's leaves and will make sure that it's gets drinks as much as needed.

Thanks again everyone.