Time to Prune Azaleas

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by DavidB52, Dec 26, 2020.

1. DavidB52

DavidB52 Active Member

I did not get around to pruning the Azalea plants this past summer, but would still like to do a tiny bit. Even if the whole plant does not get pruned, the south side of the plant needs to be cut back because it is crowding another plant.

Apparently, the best time to prune an Azalea plant is late Spring, after the flowers have bloomed and have started wilting. Having missed that window of opportunity, I am wondering if there is a worst time to prune Azaleas? Is it okay to do it now, with a risk of frost ahead? Or is it better to wait until Spring, when the risk of frost has lessened?

Any advice?

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning David, if you can wait until Spring I would reccomend this, as pruning now during the harsh Winter months can allow for disease to get in and you would lose the beautiful flowers for 2021. I always tidy mine up after the flowers have wilted.