Tibouchina urvilleana

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Apr 15, 2005.

1. I have a beautiful Tibouchina bush and was wondering if someone could tell me what I should do about its leaves turning orange and falling off. The top of the plant seems
    unaffected but it is progressively getting worse. Thank you.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Too little info here and you aren't registered so I don't know if you'll even come back for my response. Your Tibouchina will eventually become a very large shrub. Reasons for leaf drop from the bottom could be because it is developing bark at the bottom that won't support leaves and will grow to a tree-like form, it's rootbound and needs repotting, watering too much or watering too little. Here's some info.
    http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/TIBURVA.pdf

Newt

3. I too have the same problem. I have just transplanted my Tibouchina so I'm following 'Newt's' advice. Thank you Newt - I had flowers when I purchased this plant, will there be any more flowers this season or will I have to wait until next Spring? I live on Vancouver Island (south) in British Columbia. I will be bringing the plant indoors for the Winter months.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Pat,

You will need to fertilize after flowering to encourage more flowers, especially if you grow it in a pot. Here's another interesting site.
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/t/tib.cfm

Newt

5. happy

happy New Member

Sorry, this is not a reply, rather a new post (did this quickly, am a new member)

I bought a beautiful princess plant as a standard last year - even though I have a solarium, it did not survive the winter. I am not sure what I did wrong

- it is possible that the temp. in the solarium went down too low (though I doubt it - as it is heated as part of the house)

- or possibly I overwatered it - I knew overwatering was dangerous so I WAS careful with watering in the winter. In the autumn, when I brought it inside, (it was on my patio), it dropped all its leaves and never grew any new ones in winter.

- maybe it was rootbound - the pot itself was filled with roots - I did not repot it because I did not wish to disturb it right away.

- I am trying to buy one again and see if I have better luck next time. The flowers were very beautiful and I just loved my standard princess flower. I really can't figure out where I might have gone wrong - any ideas? Should I let it go dormant in the garage and bring it out in the spring? Also, any other flowering houseplants which you might suggest?

Just so you know, I have had some luck with my plants - I also purchased a little lantana standard last year - I have managed to winter it in my solarium and it is now blooming outside. As you can see I just love flowering houseplants (tropicals). I have a hibiscus standard - it also blooms all the time - in the solarium in the winter, and outside on my deck in the summer. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.