Hedges: Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd Emerald Cedars

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by stainedglass, Jun 10, 2012.

1. stainedglass

stainedglass Member

I planted 75 Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd Emerald Cedar trees as a hedge two years ago. I noticed that the branches are showing yellow in color. I have read that if I dig down 1-2" and it is dry then I should water them. I am now using a dripper hose. Am I not watering enough? Last year I used fertalizer spikes; which worked good but I
    found them expensive. I picked up Miracle Grow spray mix with water of 24-8-16. Is this the correct combination to use for these trees? They tell me on the container to fertalize the trees every two weeks. Is this too often for these cedar trees. Also when I read the planting guide for these trees it says "this type of tree doesn't need fertalizing". What is your opinion on this. I would very much appreciate feedback.

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Re: Hedges Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd Emerald Cedars

If you need any fertilizer, your soil must be rather inadequate. Even here, in clay-like soils, those look rather green with some neglect (should really say no need for attention).

Maybe they could use summer water, but presently, unless you are in an arid area that already has summer like conditions, watering should not be needed yet.

If it's the inside needles turning yellow, it could be a problem if they were not doing that.

I'm an advocate of almost never fertilizing trees and shrubs. Tends to increase problems with excess leaf surface regarding sun and heat and moisture, and increases pruning or shearing needs.

If the top inch is dry only, that's a normal condition. I'd be more concerned about 3" to 12" down.

3. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Miracle grow sure wants to sell its product. Excess fertilizing can cause problems in the trees that make them go yellow.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Prone to root rot. With the dull and damp season we are having they may have gotten too wet, below the surface if not near it (we just had record rainfall in this area, is your hedge really dry 2" down?).

Fertilize when there is a specific indication it is needed, such as a soil test report or appearance of plants known from experience to be saying they need fertilizer. Most of the time in this region nitrogen is all that is needed, applications of phosphorus, potassium and trace elements being superfluous - and possibly toxic, especially in the case of repeated phosphorus doses.

Need for fertilizer is independent of whether plant is woody or not, trees and shrubs clearly in need of fertilization are quite abundant in my area.

5. stainedglass

stainedglass Member

Thank you Ron, for your information. Before I watered my trees yesterday they were very dry and the outside foliage dropped off to a touch. The trees, however, looked alive with the watering. You are right I will get the soil testing and then know if the soil requires more nitrigen. Then I will concentrate on Nitrigen only.

One more request; if you have time to reply. Will the trees benefit if I build them up with more potting soil?

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should be in same dirt all through the planting area. No amending of planting holes or other steps producing zones of different soil conditions. If you are talking about putting potting soil on top of the ground around them, use mulch instead - unless they are sitting high and more actual soil - as in real earth, from in the ground - is needed.

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I'm still curious why the opening post mentioned the "branches" are showing discolor rather than saying the "foliage".

Any particular reason for stating it that way?