Hedges: Thuja occidentalis (Smaragd) Cedar

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by Sparky, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Sparky

Sparky Member

Hi, I purchased 32 Thuja occidentalis (Smaragd) Cedars a month ago and planted them giving them plenty of water on top of the above normal rain we have been getting. That being said, I have started to notice that some of the branches (leaves) are turning brown, not on one or two, but quite a few. Is this due to the stress of being uprooted for sale, then replanting? When I bought them, they were nice and green and full, but for the past week or so, I have started to notice that they are turning brown. Should I be concerned or am I just over-reacting because I am expecting them to be lush? Afterall, they are supposed to be a hardy tree. Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They're Arborvitae (Thuja) not Cedar (Cedrus).

How much of the foliage is turning brown? If all over the whole plant, then it's dead (and yes, likely due to root damage when they were dug at the nursery); if just the 'inside' foliage with an outer layer staying green, that's OK. Some photos would help!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Common names for Thuja occidentalis include

Arborvitae
    American arborvitae
    Northern white cedar
    Eastern white cedar
    Tree of life

A recurring problem with field-grown stock is drying of the rootballs between the field and the final planting site, and the subsequent repelling of water - due to them being grown in adhesive clay-like soils that will stick together when dug. Poke around in the original soil balls of your trees to make sure they aren't dry on the inside. Your watering may not be re-moistening them all the way through. If, on the other hand they are too wet this should also become apparent when exploring the rootballs.

4. Sparky

Sparky Member

Thanks for both responses. Greatly appreciated! To Micheal F, I wish I could take a few pictures, but until I find my digital camera, my text explanation will have to suffice. No, the whole plant is not brown, but rather only a few 'outer' leaves here and there. I have started to noticed them begining on some of the other trees as well. As I stated in my original inquiry, that these plants were very lush, green and healthy looking when they were purchased. Before planting them, they had received a lot of water while they were still in the pots, and received a great amount of water when they were planted. I don't believe water drainage is an issue with the ones located along both sides of the house, however, the row of trees planted in the backyard are situated at the bottom of a hill where it's constantly wet and the soil conditions have a bit more clay to hold that moisture. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I know these plants typically like a lot of moisture, but if the weather conditions don't become a little more dry here, then am I to presume that the tree could get root rot because of too much water? I am not very good with vegetation, so I cannot make a judgement call on how much water is too much. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my concerns.
    Chris

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thanks! If it is only a few scattered shoots turning brown, there's hope for them yet.

Since the species often grows naturally in swamps, I'd doubt that too much water would realistically be a problem.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There's all different kinds of wet. Some swampy places have different conditions than others. Root rot is one of the afflictions of this tree.