Identification: Three-lobed maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by SE1, Jun 15, 2012.

1. SE1

SE1 Member

Does anyone recognize this three-lobed maple.
    I picked it up last Autumn in a very poor state from a rather rundown nursery.

This Spring it developed light olive green leaves with reddish tips which have unfurled into green leaves. The early photo was taken in mid May, and the second photo taken in early June.

Any help with identifying it would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like Acer tutcherii, if all the leaves are truly tri-lobed. I don't know how likely it is that you would run across this one at random, though.

Mine died unfortunately.

3. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

yes look s very similar tutcherii,i agree with Emery ,i have one in pot ,wich is the misure of leaves?

4. SE1

SE1 Member

Thanks very much. All of the leaves are truly 3-lobed and sizes vary up to 8 x 8 cm (max. 10 x 10 cm). There is not much on the internet about the acer tutcheri, so it appears to be quite unusual, but the images I could find certainly look very similar.

5. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

ok this leaves size is equal to mine tutcheri, news in the book Maples of the World :leaves 3 lobed 5-10 cm,petioles 3 cm,bark (mature tree)purplish ,usda zone 7-8,natural distribution China Taiwan ,similar to acer oliverianum spp.formosan...http://mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk/default.aspx?pid=10008
    i add the pics and another comments of my tutcheri in gallery of UBC forum/maples :-)