Identification: Three fungi from Nov1

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Steve G, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Steve G

Steve G Member

Wondering if someone might have thoughts on these.
    These were all within about 10 yards of each other, growing under mostly hemlocks, but also near oaks and birches. A stream was nearby and the ground was fairly open with few understory plants at all.
    The first I have no idea about. I went back a second time to see if they had possibly opened the caps a bit, but instead they were rather withered, so I think this is the mature fungus. Update...I've found that it is a Cordyceps, so now am just unsure about the species.:-)
    The second I think is a Lactarius, but I'm not sure about a species. I did try to get a spore print, but without much luck.
    The third/fourth was one of several clumps spread around the immediate area. I did try a spore print with these as well. The cap was sticky, so I'm not sure if the tan marks I got were just from sticky gills or the spores. :-)

Thanks very much for any ideas.

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

A ?...
    On the the 3rd and 4th image...is there a chance these had rings or webbing?
    I'm falling on the lines of a kind of Cort but not sure.....

3. Steve G

Steve G Member

Thanks for the response, C.Wick.
    No, I don't think there was either. I have one other image, but there isn't a ring or web. I just looked through Barron and Roody and didn't see a cort in either that resembled these. But I'll look through some of my other books and see if there might be one in those.

Thanks.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

The hygrophanous cap on #3 reminds me of a Collybia. Gills on #2 are think and distant enough to make me think of a Hygrophorus, although it is probably an old specimen and the cap shape is probably atypical. I have no clue on #1; Harri, are you out there?

5. Steve G

Steve G Member

Thanks for your input, MykoRob.

6. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

7. Steve G

Steve G Member

Thanks Harri.

I tentatively had the Cordyceps as capitata, but I think the two are hard to tell apart without a microscope? Is there a visual difference I should be looking for?

8. Steve G

Steve G Member

Going with MycoRob's idea, I think number three/four is Gymnopus aka Collybia acervatus.
    I'm still at a loss for number two though. There were several growing singly in this area and this is a reasonably fresh sample.

Thanks for everyone's input.

9. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

The Gym's sure have been copious in my area this year. My first time being able to ID them as I can't remember ever seeing any in the wild before.
    Your Collybia acervatus just may be the mark!
    Are you getting a lot of rainfall/moisture in the area? Interesting that you have a lot of lactarius still.........in my area we get them late spring to summer as long as there's rain. This year....hardly any since it was so dry here.

10. Steve G

Steve G Member

We did have a fair amount when these shots were taken. I was there the other day and everything's pretty withered. All of the Lactarius are long gone now.

I'm glad you've been seeing the Gymnopus so much. They're very attractive 'shrooms.