This is acer mono. My seed .

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Surachai, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Surachai

Surachai New Member

This is acer mono. My seeds are very fast growing in Bangkok, but I probably didn't see them change color.

Attached Files:

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Surachai,

My first impression is that what you have there is Acer truncatum. But "Acer mono" -- which is now called Acer pictum -- is a very complicated and disputed species, with many (11 in a paper I have been looking at) sub-species.

These maples (A. truncatum, A. pictum) are closely related, members of the section Platanoideae.

Thanks for posting it! -E

3. Surachai

Surachai New Member

I thought it was A.mono because I ordered A.mono from ebay i want to get acer mono a lot. Thank you for educating me.

4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I don't have Acer mono, but I had a look at pics from the web and it does look much more like the Acer truncatum I have.

5. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

i colllected a few of these seeds yesterday.

Attached Files:

emery likes this.
  6. emery

Funny that even the Arnold still lists this as Acer mono. I noticed this in a FB post about the Maple Society visit there last year.

Still the correct name is certainly Acer pictum. This is presumably subspecies mono, but at (my) last count there were 11 subspecies, and it is certain that the species is poorly understood, with a lot of work left to be done.

I have a few types of this tree and a couple of days ago I took some pictures to compare with the OP's leaves. First, a couple of pictures of A. truncatum. The first is from seed collected in Beijing, the second is a larger tree from the now defunct Adeline nurseries, which I have grown for many years now. It's interesting to note the more ornately toothed leaves from the Beijing plant, which more resembles some of the selection out of Texas. I hope it keeps these characteristics as it grows, but leaves on young wood often show extra teeth. Here also is A. truncatum showing some fall color.
    IMG_20191019_131121.jpg IMG_20191019_131257.jpg IMG_20191019_131346.jpg

Next is a pictum seedling that resembles ssp. mayrii to me, or it may be a hybrid. A pictum hybridizes easily with A. platanoides. For comparison, the picture is followed by A. cappadocicum.
    IMG_20191019_131011.jpg IMG_20191019_131102.jpg
    My true A. pictum ssp. mayrii, as well as A. pictum ssp. pictum (maybe!) have lost their leaves. But I do still have leaves on A. pictum ssp. mono. So this is another to look at. The taxon has been "verified" by de Jong, but advisedly since the whole pictum complex is so poorly known and confused.
    IMG_20191019_132328.jpg IMG_20191019_132425.jpg IMG_20191019_132455.jpg
    @LoverOfMaples it should be a good time to collect seed, hope they grow for you!

cheers, -E

7. LoverOfMaples

Glad to know the correct name (A. Pictum) and that it can cross with A. platanoides. There was a A. platanoides 'Dissectum' not far from it and it was beautiful. I've never seen one before, just the 'Crimson King' i think its called. They are pretty common around here.

I will be posting pic of the dissectum tonight.

E, i went by the Mt. Auburn Cemetery and WOW. Maple for days! Ill be going back Sunday, lol. I didn't send a lot of time there this past Sunday because i spent most of it at the Arnold.

8. LoverOfMaples

hey E,

here is another one with different leaves and much older than the one above. what do you think?

Attached Files:

9. emery

Beautiful! Hard to say much about it this late in the season, those wavy leaves are pretty crazy and remind me of ssp okomatoanum, although I'm sure it's not that. (The species hadn't been discovered yet, and it doesn't look like it otherwise anyway). It really is a crazy species, they're so variable.

10. LoverOfMaples

That was gonna be my next question. When i was looking it up i saw a few different variations.