This is a hard one - juniper

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ToddTheLorax, Jul 19, 2008.

1. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

I posted some pictures of this on this or a similar forum this past winter. No one could nail it down, because I take it juniper is pretty tough to differentiate. I was just looking at them again because a thread in the conversation forum reminded me of them. Thought I would take another shot. BTW the tree has subsequently been obliterated by the city, about 3/4 of the foilage removed, as it was severely "limbed up" so better pics would be hard to get. Such a waste of a beautiful plant in my opinion.

cuttings were very difficult to root, despite my sorta sophisticated efforts. Most just formed a small amount of callous tissue but no roots at all (stem, heal and mallet cuttings wounded, hormex #3, winter, poly-tent in 1/3 perlite 1/3 vermiculite 1/3 turface media) Grafting onto j. ashei was a failure. Plant is not a grafted clone. after it was limbed up I looked at the trunk. It has reddish exfoliating type bark that reminds me of ashe juniper (more reddish maybe), but it has a central leader and more tree like than our shrubby native.

Attached Files:

2. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Might find it under weeping juniper.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try running it through these keys at Robert Adams' Junipers website:
    http://www.juniperus.org/keys.html

Only trouble is, they're arranged geographically, and that's no help with a cultivated specimen!

Alternatively, collect some samples and send them to him (he's not too far from you), he'd be able to do DNA tests on them (which is the best way to identify a juniper!!):
    http://www.juniperus.org/contact.html

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like the same one I am growing, without a label. We planted it years ago. It does cone, so if I applied myself I should be able to place it. Since the one there is also producing that should help quite a bit with arriving at the species.

5. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

Thanks, I looked at those keys a few months ago and stopped when I realized it was organized that way. I may try to muddle through it anyway.