Think it's a spice ????

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by rumpuss, May 30, 2016.

1. rumpuss

rumpuss Active Member

First of all sorry for the poor quality of picture. This was given to a friend of mine....he soaked it for 12 hours in white wine and then used it to flavour pickled vegetables without opening it. He was told it came from China. The shell is hard. The smell, upon opening , is rather like carnations. Would really appreciate identification. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nutmeg is used in pickling. Compare that? I would like to see an image of the inside of the fruit without it having been pickled.

3. rumpuss

rumpuss Active Member

Thank you Daniel......I will ask my friend to take a photo of fruit (external and internal) without it having been pickled. I hope the images will be clearer than mine.

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

I'd bet it's cardamom. The pics post pickling aren't all that clear, but it looks like black cardamom or Amomum costatum. No special expertise here, but I've done a fair bit of cooking, and sampling of other cuisines.

5. rumpuss

rumpuss Active Member

Thank you......having looked up Black Cardamom I think you could be correct. I am still awaiting photos from my friend before he soaked the fruit.