These nocturnal flying beetles love eating the flesh of the leaves of cherry and plum

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by Medic, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Medic

Medic Member

While I was out walking last night, near QE park I came arose swarms of flying beetles that were feasting on the flesh of the leaves of both cherry and red plum trees over the span of several blocks... a Hort friend suggested they were June Beetles; rather vague descriptor, as it seems there is at least one June beetles per local region across the continent. Anyone care to be more specific?

Also, I was singularly aware of the absence of any bats? Are there any recent studies tracking bat populations within the city?

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: These nocturnal flying beetles love eating the flesh of the leaves of cherry and

I would think it is indeed something in Phyllophaga (literally, leaf-eater).

BugGuide: Phyllophaga

You might be able to extract the information you are looking for re: bats from this organization: South Coast Bat Action Team

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Re: These nocturnal flying beetles love eating the flesh of the leaves of cherry and

Quite likely Melolontha melolontha.