There are other orchids besides Phallys!

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by terrestrial_man, Jan 21, 2007.

1. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Seems like that most of the threads that I have read on this forum are centered around the genus Phalaenopsis. While I have grown these interesting plants many years ago for a commercial grower, my own tastes have centered around species orchids and with a small greenhouse mini-orchids. These kinds of orchids are also popular with folks who grow under lights inside their homes since room is always a premium.
    I just loaded up yesterday a few pages that introduces, what is still relatively new to me (just got my first plants this past May),
    Dendrobium cuthbertsonii. This is not only a min-orchid but it has large flowers for its diminitive size and it is a cool grower! A big plus for Northern orchid growers. Not so big for folks that live in the very hot climates and who do not have cool houses.
    To learn more and to access additional links including those of sources click this link:
    http://jcsplitimage.topcities.com/dcp1.html

2. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

They sound interesting. Must admit, i started collecting phals,but next came the Laeliocattleya. Its scent is out of this world!! Might like to experiment with a few other scenteds. Any suggestions terrestrial man??

3. terrestrial_man

4. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thank you! I'll take the list along shopping! kidding of course,can't get them all!

5. terrestrial_man

You are welcome. I know: IF I ONLY HAD MORE ROOM!!!

6. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Its a very addicting hobby for sure! [I have a home made two level light stand in our basement,and last year, purchased a Flora light system lol!!] I think the plants are taking over!!

7. smivies

smivies Active Member

In 100% agreement....I frequently find myself in the local bigbox hardware store, 'saving' a previously flowered Paph., or mini Cat., or mini Onc. The store, despite the fact that it's actually pretty good at maintaining plants in their greenhouse, are just trying to unload plants that have lost their 'star' power. $5 to $10/plant is usually the going price.

Great way to build a collection!

Simon

8. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thats awesome information!! LOL, must start checking these places out!