The Secret of Vancouver's Urban Forest

Discussion in 'Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival' started by wcutler, Mar 21, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This is an article written by a commercial travel and tour company, but I think it's nicely done, has a featured photo that really shows cherry blossoms, and talks a lot about the Cherry Scouts, so I'm happy to post this link. And thanks to @Willard for talking to the author.
    The secret of Vancouver’s urban forest

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Yes, but I believe the article is incorrect in recommending West 22nd Ave. as a location to see cherry blossoms. While the blossoms are indeed impressive, they are but plum blossoms. This is the case at least towards the Arbutus end of the street.

3. wcutler

I was wondering that too but had not got around to making sure, so thanks for mentioning that. I've written to the author to see if she can indicate that or pick another location.

4. Junglekeeper

It's confirmed. Made a quick tour today. That stretch of West 22 Ave. is lined on both sides by plum trees.

5. wcutler

Thanks, I passed it today too, but it was clear anyway on Google Maps that they're plums. The author replied that she would change something.

6. Junglekeeper

The trees along W 22nd are in the early stages of blossoming. No doubt there will soon be the usual crowds gathering to take photos of the spectacular sight. However I suspect many will think they are cherry blossoms as the misinformation continues to spread. (The article in the original post remains unchanged.) Listed below are several instances of media on the topic of cherry blossoms that reference this location. It's ironic that the Global News article contains information and graphic on how to distinguish cherry from plum. VCBF as a source of this misinformation was unexpected.

7. wcutler

Thanks, Junglekeeper.
    I have made a comment on the YouTube video.
    I have edited the description on Wikimedia and started a discussion. I don't think I can change the title.
    I have sent a correction to Global News, but surely it is too late for them to change that.
    In the last case, it didn't originate with VCBF; VCBF linked to an article by Bored in Vancouver. It looks to me as if the link has been dropped from the VCBF site. Did you find it on the VCBF site, or did it just come up on a query?
    And I have written to the author of the article in the first posting asking her to make sure if the article is repeated this year that those trees are indicated as plums.

8. Junglekeeper

The VBCF entry came up on a Google search. With many entries it appears as though information had been copied from another site as the wording was identical. The name Rachel-Ann Nadeau, the person credited with the photos in the Global article, appeared numerous times. Misinformation is easily propagated in the digital age.