The prettiest rose leaves, shiny with red margins, trailing, double red flowers

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by wcutler, Sep 22, 2019.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I know how many zillion rose cultivars there are, but still am wondering if it's possible to ID this one that seems to have very distinctive leaves with red rachis, veins and stipules. I actually found two like it on the internet, but neither had a name.
    Rose-DoubleRed-RedVeins_1949Beach_Cutler_20190910_145112.jpg Rose-DoubleRed-RedVeins_1949Beach_Cutler_20190910_145138.jpg Rose-DoubleRed-RedVeins_1949Beach_Cutler_20190910_145159.jpg Rose-DoubleRed-RedVeins_1949Beach_Cutler_20190910_145250.jpg Rose-DoubleRed-RedVeins_1949Beach_Cutler_20190910_145304.jpg

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hello Wendy - i assume this is in a public Park or along a sidewalk — so I’m wondering if it’s one of the Meilland.com brand under the sub-brand Meidiland. (I call them « mall parking lot roses » )

Not because they are unattractive or otherwise - just because they seem easy care w no water ... indestructible. I know a professional landscape arch who specs them often in the greater Vanc area for a casual look.

I observe a particular large coastal mall parking lot that in summer is all pretty and in winter - these plants end up with 6 feet of salt grit ice snow piled on them (snow plows) .. and these Meidiland come back faithfully and no spotted leaves etc

I will attach pix of one called Bonica I have in my garden (no i didn’t adopt it at midnight fr the mall!) ... and interestingly it does way better in ongoing f’lowering and a slightly better heavy rain performance than a similar concept of rose named Flower Carpet — I have « apple blossom« (Pink bucket brand) planted near the Meidiland I will attach pix of.

I notice in the list on the brand website there is another called CHERRY - so maybe that’s what you saw.

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Foliage and habit shows a Rosa luciae influence. Not that that will help you name the cultivar.

4. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

I would guess Rosa 'Meikrotal' (marketed as Scarlet Meidiland).

wcutler likes this.
  5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Further to my post - I forgot to say that the one I have has nice red hips that last (garden design plus - and maybe for wildlife too)

And maybe one little pink bud and rose for New Year Day (truly)

It cuts back then grows quite long canes of multi flowers ...

So maybe go back later (in a few months) to you Geo location ;)

and see if your photo subject has any hips (assuming the landscape maintenance company hasn’t sheared it back )