The grey season

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by pinenut, Apr 17, 2009.

1. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

The driveway's a swamp. The frost heaves are so bad you have to be down three gears and they still throw you out of the seat. The Yukon tulips start showing their ugly little heads. You can't keep the car clean, or even the carpets in the house for that matter.
    And now we have another two inches of snow. Everything is back to black and white.
    I can hardly wait for the Three Days of Spring, when suddenly there's a blush of green on the aspens and three days later they've leafed out and its summer.
    Sigh.
    Carl

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The complete opposite to here, where spring shows its first tentative signs in late December, and is only completed in late June. Continental versus oceanic climates.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

Ours is a glorious spring but usually gobbled up by the summer heat just as it is all looking perfect.

Liz

4. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

CROCUSES ARE OUT! 22 degrees today. Snow's almost gone. Swans are flying over.
    Almost there...
    Carl

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

"April is the cruelest month, breeding lilacs out of the dead land, mixing memory and desire, stirring dull roots with spring rain." Yeah, nothin' like a shot of T. S. to cheer us all up!

Here in Ohio-land it's been raining off and on for days, with a tornado warning this evening just for laughs. Seems like we often have cold, wet springs, then blazing-hot arid summers. Humidity 90 percent but no rain for weeks. Liz, I know what you mean. ---I long to get out in my soi-disant garden and yank out the dandelions and thistles before they form an impenetrable ground cover...but BOOM! here comes another cloudburst! Seems like the rain happens especially frequently on my days off work...whereas the time I spend at my job brings the cheery sunbeam slanting through the window, teasing me. Not to mention the happy customers who come in and feel compelled to say "Oh, it's such a NICE DAY!" Sometimes they even wax eloquent upon what they've just been doing in their gardens. AIEEE! And some wonder why I seem tense. Garden-deprived, that's what I am. Hmm. Perhaps T.S. was, too.