The first Japanese to English Dictionary

Discussion in 'Maples' started by JT1, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Oh no you have complicated things further. I, for one like to add/keep as much ‘Japanese’ as possible. I think some of the transactions are really cool and some seem very random. I will be saying Nishki rather than Nishiki, without casting any judgment on anyone who does the opposite.

2. Luke’s Maples

Hino Tori Nishiki - The changing Firebird or the Firebird that changes. So cool!

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Lol sorry Luke, reminds me of that old song, turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so.......lol.
    Perhaps as the forum is not spoken but written, then no confusion will arise.
    Good discussion.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  4. Luke’s Maples

I absolutely agree. I will always spell it Nishiki but when I talk to them (no judging) I tend to revert to Nishki;-)

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

e-pronunciation is imperfect, not to mention local accents that also exist in Japan, just like in any other language, especially when people speak fast. While having my coffe this morning I watched a TV programme about people selling some of their things at auctions. One of the (French) auctioneers would say "netske", while another would say "netsuke".

I think it's a bit like the way people here pronounce "cheval" - which is actually how people in the south part of France would pronounce it, while north of the Loire, most peple would pronounce it "chfal".

6. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Local dialects will always vary, I struggled with parts of the UK in my travels at work when confronted by a very irate Geordie, couldn't understand a word, lol. So I fully understand Alains posting.
    But as Luke pointed out, it is very important in our world of maples to get it right. If we don't, then the increasing problem occurs of so many names for each maple. Yes I know nishiki shouldn't be confused, but I hope you get my point. I will ensure I pronounce it nishki when in verbal correspondence in the future.
    This has been a very interesting posting by Luke and it has opened my eyes, or 'ears' should I say......

Luke’s Maples likes this.