The Dark Side of Propagating Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Feb 16, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I've just discovered this method of propagation for Acer grandidendatum. I wonder how it could work for other maple species :

The Dark Side of Propagating Maples

Excerpt :

"In an effort to save the genetics of this tree from marauding squirrels, we are using propagation techniques pioneered by researchers at Utah State University. This species is usually very hard to propagate by cuttings, but by placing dark bags over the stems, the tree is forced to grow in darkness — a process called etiolation. Cuttings taken from this etiolated growth root much easier than cuttings taken from stems that grew in full sunlight. The bags will be removed after the tree begins growing in late April or May."

I would have thought that "etiolated stems" were much weaker than stems grown in full sun.

I might try it on other species, var., cv. ... I'm really eager to see if it works.

2. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

I did work many years ago on the propagation of Maples from hardwood cuttings but never came across using etiolated softwood cuttings. Very exciting!
    Used to use a misting propagation bench with basal heating and dipping base of cuttings into weak solution of IBA. I'll give this a try with some other Acer palm. Spp.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    AlainK likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I wonder how the experiment described in The Dark Side of Propagating Maples has fared?

Now, almost 2 years later, it would be interesting to know whether or not the cuttings from etiolated stems rooted.

Here is a 1986 article describing details of a Cornell University experiment “PROPAGATION TECHNIQUE DEVELOPED”

PROPAGATION TECHNIQUE DEVELOPED

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Margot,
    Thank you for showing me how to look at the date on a document : March 21, 2018

^ #^
    \---'

I tried the link from Cornell University you suggested, but got this message :

"Unfortunately, our website is currently unavailable in most European countries. We are engaged on the issue and (...)"

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Hello Alain - I'm not sure exactly how I've shown you how to look at the date on a document but - you're welcome!

I copied the Cornell University article to a PDF, attached.

I too am interested in trying this technique, not only on special maples, but other trees as well . . . such as hard-to-root dogwood cuttings.

Attached Files:

6. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks for posting this Margot! The etiolation technique is fascinating, and I'm very glad to see the Cornell paper. They don't say how successful they were, but if paperbark maple could be propagated this way we could get some of the seed bearing trees more widely disseminated.

-E