Texas - small tree large shrub - interesting

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ToddTheLorax, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ToddTheLorax

ToddTheLorax Active Member

I went hiking today and saw a large shrub or small tree that I do not recognize. These pictures were taken today in central Texas. The tree is growing alongside a small creek near Prunus serotina, Quercus buckleyi, Juniperus ashei, Celtis laevigata,
    Ilex decidua.

As you can see the leaves are pretty large, The plant is less than 15 feet tall, (5 meters).

My guess is that it's rare at least in this area because I cannot recall seeing another one. Doesn't to seem to match up with anything in my books. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks to be some sort of buckthorn (Rhamnus).

3. ToddTheLorax

re: Looks to be some sort of buckthorn (Rhamnus).

wow that was fast. thanks for the help. looking through RHAMNACEAE looks like Frangula caroliniana.

4. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. ToddTheLorax

looking around the internet it looks like it's more abundant in the eastern part of the state, This one was in northwestern Bexar county, so probably near the western edge of their range. I can't recall seeing more of them.

Interestingly, a different but nearby park lists something called 'Rhamnus caroliniana' as a plant in their native plant community, so I'm guessing they mean the same thing and there is some difference in taxonomic opinion about it's classification - either that or they just goofed up when they printed their map / brochure.

6. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Yes, same plant.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Frangula is included in Rhamnus by many botanists.

8. ToddTheLorax

RE: Frangula is included in Rhamnus by many botanists.

I checked my Benny Simpson's Texas tree book and it's listed as Rhamnus there. His distribution map has it occuring in a few more western counties too. Also listed under Rhamnus in a plant propagation book I have, which mentions its tendency to be weedy. But the only trees I notice being weedy for me are hackberries and tiny oaks which are probably suckers not seedlings....

I'm on a native plant collecting kick lately so I'll try and get some seeds in a month or so. A couple of my ungnadia seeds have germinated. No luck on the ptelea or garrya, but I'm having fun trying.

Anyway, thanks for the help.