Identification: Taco Cactus/Succulent?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Laticauda, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Okay, so I saw this on e-bay, and I'm amazed! Any idea what the weird taco looking thing is? Also, any idea on the cactus pictured would be helpful. (I'm new to all of this, so please forgive my noob-iness)

EDIT :: I guess I should have posted this in the plant identification forum

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the 'taco' looking plant is most probably a kalanchoe. the one in front of that is probably an echeveria.

the green/white spikey is a haworthia and the cactus could be one of a few types...i'm not too good at id'ing them yet.

3. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Yeah, if they are anything like invertebrates, it can take years to even begin to scrape the surface of all the different latin names! Thanks, I'll have to research that "kalanchoe."

4. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Actually I think it's better to post ID requests for cacti & succulents here, there are too much other plants on the ID forum for me, I rarely look at it.
    Can't see enough details on the cactus, but my first guess is Lobivia.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I think the taco-shell-looking plant is Kalanchoe diagremontiana. If it is, and it greens up a bit, more--many more plants--should be on the way.

6. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Wow I didn't know you got Kalanchoe's like that....mine is very green with yellow flowers, common name is flaming Katy.

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

there are a large number of varieties of kalanchoe.

i have 'flaming katy', too. love the flowers on it!

8. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Yeah me too, thats why I bought it actually, I'd missed having something flowering in my room since my Cyclamen died, have a Hyacinth coming up too:)

9. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Watch that Kalanchoe it's common name is Mother of Millions for a very good reason. The middle plant is Haworthia attenuata any chance of a close up of the cactus? It may also be an Espostoa (what do you think mandarin?)

10. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Well, it was posted on ebay, I bid on it and won it, but haven't been able to get in touch with the seller...I guess we'll see how it all turns up, I'll definitely get more pictures when/if I get them.

11. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I believe your taco shell-looking plant could be Bryophyllum crenatodaigremontianum. It looks like it has been grown in full sun with very little water (stressed-or on the SOS program, as my plants are in-Sink or Swim). :P
    The plant in front of it looks like a Haworthia. As mentioned before, the other plant (3rd from left) looks to be a Haworthia as well, most likely H. attenuata.
    Cannot say on the cactus. Have you received the plants yet? Would you be able to provide more detailed pix?

12. Laticauda

Laticauda Active Member

Well, after I won the auction, the girl took forever to get back to me, so when I finally heard back from her, I paid...I haven't gotten the plants yet. She said she was going to ship last Monday...so in all actuality, they SHOULD be here already. But I'll be patient, and wait some more. I don't think she will be sending that cactus though, I asked for another Haworthia (love those little guys!)