Supposed Dogwood shrub?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Skarvydawg, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Skarvydawg

Skarvydawg Member

Good morning,

I am trying to ID a supposed Dogwood shrub, we were told it was a "Red Stick Dogwood" but I have been unable to find any information online under this name. At first I thought that the "Blood Twig Dogwood" was probably the most likely candidate but the leaves don't match...

So here's what I know; the branches are indeed red, the shrubs are about 4-5 in height with variegated leaves and they are dying a slow death from something... hence my need to ID them, so I can figure out what's going on....

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

~Jon

2. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

With variegated leaves, you probably have Cornus alba 'Elegantissima, or one of the newer red twig cultivars.

3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

There are several variegated cultivars of Cornus alba, Elegantissima and Gouchaultii both get to around 12 feet, so are perhaps not what you're looking for. Spaethii and Sibirica variegata are smaller. There are no doubt others, too. If you tell us whether the variegation is white or yellow that will narrow it down. Or post a picture.

As for names, the only thing that doesn't vary regionally is the accepted latin name, and there are even plenty of arguments about some of those!

-E

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Timber Press book DOGWOODS gives preference to 'Argenteo-marginata' over 'Elegantissima'. There are multiple variegated cultivars of Cornus alba, also C. stolonifera and other species.

If your plant is a dogwood it will have the same basic leaf shape as other dogwoods. Being variegated instead of green is not a disqualification. All redtwig-type dogwoods have similar flowerheads and fruit clusters, the latter varying from one another mostly in coloring (white vs. bluish).

5. Skarvydawg

Skarvydawg Member

Thank you all for the information. I probably should have started by posting a picture so without further ado I am posting both a picture of a healthy portion of the shrub for identification and a picture of a diseased portion of the shrub. My main reason for trying to identify the shrub is to try and figure out what is currently killing it. It has slowly gotten worse each year over the past 4 years or so. Thank you again for all your help!

~Jon

Attached Files:

6. newtoplants

newtoplants Member

It might be a ivory halo dogwood (alba ‘Bailhalo'). I have the same plant at home and that's what I thought the name is, but there is no tag in my dogwood so I'm not sure.