Sunshine Coast/Gulf Islands

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Willard, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Another young ‘Whitcomb’ on Franklin Street west of Cochrane. This one on south side of street.

20220305 FranklinCochrane Whitcomb Willard IMG_4463.JPG 20220305 FranklinCochrane Whitcomb Willard IMG_4467.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Willard

Spring is here and this 20 year old ‘Whitcomb’ is in peak bloom.
    So is the Daphne odora at it’s base.

Located on Grandview Rd, south of 2nd Street. You can’t miss it - just follow your nose.

20220306 GrandviewRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4506.JPG 20220306 GrandviewRd2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4520.JPG 20220306 GrandviewRd2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4512.JPG
    Photographed in morning sun today.

20220305 GrandviewRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4484.jpg
    Photographed in afternoon shade yesterday.

Georgia Strait, wcutler and Acerholic like this.
  3. Willard

Young ‘Whitcomb’ on 7th Street, north of Gower Pt Rd.

About 40% blooming.

20220306 7thGower Whitcomb Willard IMG_4500.JPG 20220306 7thGower Whitcomb Willard IMG_4501.JPG

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    Acerholic likes this.
  4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just drove by them this glorious sunny Sunday — beautiful!

at the top of Franklin where it meets Gower Point Rd, there is a pale pink tall blossom tree

i have not seen any sign of blossom in Sechelt

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Georgia Strait and Willard like this.
  6. Willard

March 7 and the tree is blooming about 60%.

20220307 720SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4710.JPG 20220307 720SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4681.JPG 20220307 720SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4685.JPG 20220307 720SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4679.JPG 20220307 720SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4698.JPG 20220307 720SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard IMG_4696.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2022
    Acerholic likes this.
  7. Willard

Nice ‘Okame’ in bloom on Gale Ave N in Sechelt. Seems to thrive in this weather.
    Brrr.

20220311 GaleAveN Okame Willard IMG_4778.jpg 20220311 GaleAveN Okame Willard IMG_4781.jpg 20220311 GaleAveN Okame Willard IMG_4784.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  8. wcutler

Wow, that's a beauty, and amazing for how diseased we've learned 'Okame' can look. Is there not even any brown rot on that, or you were just selective in your captures?

9. Willard

I didn’t notice any brown rot. The tree looked very healthy. Good location.

10. Georgia Strait

Inspired by cherry scout @Willard - I took a quiet walk around « the Bay Area » of Gibsons Landing today

Parked at Library then walked down toward post office then public market/marina

the huge tree stump with some branches at transit bus stop outside Marina Place townhomes is sawed (pruned?) severely so hopefully some blooms appear … Willard noticed it last yr

My goal was Franklin Road, already posted here by Willard a week or so ago

i admired and took photos - attached

(I walked past intersection of Franklin and Cochrane roads which is where a couple of the « last to bloom » trees are located )

next photo is the early cherry near post office on Winn and South Fletcher at base of very steep hill

next is a few photos just past the library on South Fletcher — the town hall and the school district 46 offices

a brave neglected small cherry tucked in to pine tree at edge of street and parking lot - gorgeous view of harbor —- name @Willard ?

the last tree I observed today is next to the old front doors of town hall - see photo attached

Unfortunately the photos don’t seem to display here in order taken.
    ÉDIT - thé photo order is backwards — the fluffy full pink tree etc is Franklin road area

Attached Files:

Willard and Acerholic like this.
  11. wcutler

If you want to position your photos in the text area, position your cursor on the line after your description of it, and click that photo's Insert: Thumbnail button. You can see how that is done on a PC in the 2nd video at (1) Attach photos and files | UBC Botanical Garden Forums. You can edit your posting, go to More options, and attach the files where you want them. It would also help in the future if you would rename your files according to the Cherry Scout naming convention, which you can find at Scout Corner - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (I insist that the Cherry Scouts name their files so that if I want to use their photos, the names have all the info about them). Then you could at least talk about them by name, if you didn't attach them into the text.

The double pink flowers in front of the pine are a plum - Prunus x blireiana. Notice the round buds sticking straight out from the branch, like lollipops. And the white-flowered tree is also a plum - Prunus cerasifera.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  12. Willard

The tree at the old front doors of Gibsons town hall is a Viburnum.

I am happy that you viewed the cherry blossoms today. They'll look so much better when it warms up.

13. Georgia Strait

same tree today - looking good

saw a couple of golden eagles nearby, too

Attached Files:

Acerholic and Willard like this.
  14. Georgia Strait

I saw these two sets of trees in Sechelt BC yesterday March 17/22

I think I might be barking up the wrong trees - so to speak - specifically - these might not be cherries, as pretty as their buds/blooms (and the waterfront Salish Sea views) are

these are near Sunshine Coast Credit Union and the waterfront promenade walk

the straight up grafted are closer to the street

the ragged pale pink are close to ocean beach.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  15. wcutler

The ones with the pink buds are cherries, probably 'Akebono'. The other or is it others? How many trees are there here? Anyway, they're plums, Prunus cerasifera.

16. Georgia Strait

thank you for speedy reply
    Here are a pair of what appear to be grafted trees next to credit union … very dark pink burgundy buds

I am going back in approx 10 days so will observe again

I estimate that these trees were planted 10 years ago - maybe 14? Very nice condition … thankfully no crazy “pruning”

the OTHER pair are what remains of i think Plum — they get salt spray fr ocean storms and hot summer with no irrigation plus all the usual hazards of street treedom

Attached Files:

17. Willard

I agree.
    Straight up grafted are ‘Akebono’
    Ragged pale pink are plum trees.

I have seen these trees in person (not too long ago).

18. wcutler

@Georgia Strait, I don't recognize what you mean by straight up. In your last posting? I consider those straight out, not up. In posting #635, the 5th photo looks like a straight up plum. It would be more clear if you would either rename the photos or put only one group of trees in one posting. Or attach the photos under your text that talks about them. I can't find instructions right now - did I send something about that in a conversation? In the (1) Attach photos and files from Mobile Device | UBC Botanical Garden Forums page, the relevant bit is "position your cursor where you want each photo and click that photo's Insert: Thumbnail button." Here's what it looked like in a test I just did (on an Android phone). Now I'm clicking the Thumbnail button to put the photo here. There are two Thumbnail buttons, for two photos. I can click the one I want to go where I put my cursor.
    AttachPhotos_Screenshot_20220318-202743_Samsung Internet (1).jpg

You only get so many "I can't tell a plum from a cherry because I won't read up on it" postings. :)
    Please read this:
    Plum Trees vs Cherry Trees: How to tell - Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (vcbf.ca)

19. Willard

The ‘Whitcomb’ on Grandview and 2nd is still blooming.

The blossoms looked big and fluffy.

20220319 Grandview2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_5191.JPG 20220319 Grandview2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_5192.JPG 20220319 Grandview2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_5195.JPG 20220319 Grandview2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_5204.JPG 20220319 Grandview2nd Whitcomb WillardIMG_5274.jpg 20220319 Grandview2nd Whitcomb Willard IMG_5279.JPG

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  20. Willard

‘Beni-shidare’ starting to bloom in Sechelt.
    On Dolphin Strret, north of Inlet.

20220223 DolphinInlet Beni -shidare Willard .jpg

Acerholic and Georgia Strait like this.
  21. Georgia Strait

thats gorgeous !

@Willard - there is a small tree w blossoms outside the Benjamin Moore paint store on North Rd Gibsons — I was in traffic so could t stop to look closer

22. Willard

This ‘’Whitcomb’ on School Rd at the Parks Yard has not given up yet.

20220325 SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard JPEG image 36.jpeg 20220325 SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard JPEG image 38.jpeg 20220325 SchoolRd Whitcomb Willard JPEG image 37.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Acerholic likes this.
  23. Willard

My neighbour Joy spotted this ‘Accolade’ on Pilling Rd, west of Gower Pt Rd. I’ve driven by numerous times but never noticed it. Four eyes are better than two. Cherry scouting is fun with a friend.

20220325 Pilling Accolade Willard 1:3.jpeg 20220325 Pilling Accolade Willard 2:3.jpeg 20220325 Pilling Accolade Willard 3:3.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Acerholic and wcutler like this.
  24. wcutler

When it stays cold, 'Whitcomb' last longer than any of the cultivars, because they start early but hold their blossoms. Here in Vancouver, it's often been above 10 degrees, so they're pretty much finished. I'm not featuring any more of their flowers on Blooming Now, but I really like your second photo.

25. Willard

These are the earliest ‘Akebono’ to bloom in Sechelt. Five mature trees at the RCMP headquarters on Sunshine Coast Highway.
    Nice dry creek bed at the site.

20220325 RCMP Akebono Willard 1:5.jpeg 20220325 RCMP Akebono Willard 2:5.jpeg 20220325 RCMP Akebono Willard 3:5.jpeg 20220325 RCMP Akebono Willard 4:5.jpeg 20220325 RCMP Akebono Willard 5:5.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
    Acerholic likes this.