Appreciation: Summer maples 2022

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Jun 6, 2022.

1. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Mine takes the typical form some years and similar to this other years..but this year it’s more pink than ever..no complaints..mine was also a small tree but has grown out nicely over 7/8 years..this photo 8457A8EC-0D73-40E9-9CAD-E99688C30D03.jpeg was 2 years ago . I picked up a second small one as it was a bargain, will see how that one turns out.

Xi-feng, D97x7 and Cattwooduk like this.
  2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I, too, think the best time to water my trees is in the morning.
    But here, humidity in the air has been very low for weeks. Even my oak seedlings have not had mildew for the first time in years, and they're the ones the most prone to get it.
    So when temperatures get close, or reach 30°C, I spray them before sunset.

dicky5ash likes this.
  3. dicky5ash

I have 7 oak seedlings I found in JM pots buried by grey squirrels from the park next door.. I’ve transplanted them into tall and narrow 5/7ltr pots..on the basis they have long tap roots.. I’m going to grow them from the current 30cm to 1m then plant them in the ground..(in a rough bit of the park that is not maintained by the council..what plans do you have for yours Alain?

4. AlainK

They were sent to me by someone from a bonsai forum. I had sent him maple seedlings, asking for nothing, not even the price of shipping (about 10€, the price of a packet of cigs, and I smoked about 1 and 1/2 a day...) , but he felt he should send me something in return, OK then.
    Actually, I really don't know what to do with them, but I always find it difficult to let a plant die. A big problem...
    BTW, they're what you call "English oak", "chêne pédonculé" (Quercus robur).
    Hard to make a bonsai with, especially from seed (it takes years to develop a good taper), though I've seen a couple of very nice ones, all gathered from the wild.
    I can't plant it in the ground, I'm already running out of space. Hard to keep in a pot too (here, at least). The long tap root is indeed a problem. It can be gradually reduced if you repot it frequently before planting it.

Back to maples : I had to go to town today, and saw some very big Acer buergerianum in excellent condition, an Acer grisum in a less good condition but with a nice bark, and what I think is an Acer tataricum, all planted in big "boxes" in a street. I can't take good photos with my "vintage" mobile phone, but next time I go, I'll bring my camera. Maybe next Friday : there's a small market on the main place, with second-hand book sellers. I bought "Le Testament d'un Poète Juif Assassiné" ("The Testament") by Elie Wiesel. A good opportunity to patch my culture full of holes for 1€.

dicky5ash likes this.
  5. AlainK

Sales bêtes ! (Dirty beasts! -- approx.)
    On a visit to Kew gardens, one of my pupils was bitten by one of these invaders. He had to have an injection against tetanus.
    The red ones are so "cute"... ;-)

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. dicky5ash

The last time I saw a red one was in Cornwall when I was 12…a LONG time ago..my dad didn’t believe me until I pointed it out to him..never seen one since :(

7. AlainK

That's very sad.
    Here, I haven't seen a grey one yet, but they are gradually taking over from what I've heard.
    Globalisation : good and bad.
    It's OK to welcome other species as long as they don't suppress the local ones, that they are not invasive.
    When they are invading and killing the local populations (grey squirrels, Asian hornets, the R. -- edited before I completed typing more examples of world-threatening attacks) culling is the right thing to do, unfortunately.

Some species can help the local ones to thrive, for instance maple trees that are better fertilized by "exotic" varieties. It doesn't mean all the orchards must be burned to ashes. For what ?... For what is to be gained ?

Mao said the birds ate the fruit, so a campaign (not a war, a campaign) was launched. Billions of birds were killed.

Now, Chinese handworkers climb the trees to polinate them because the birds were killed, then the pollinators wre killed.

It's hard to say when a new species is introduced in an environment, but when the invaders are obviously killers, they must be kept at bay, and if not, suppressed. And we are all responsible for that, for the "equilibrium" of the world, because it concerns us all.

1971, some 50 years ago...

dicky5ash likes this.
  8. dicky5ash

Very true..Eco-systems have such a fine balance..
    Another example..Otters have a devastating impact on fishing lakes here..they kill huge carp and leave 95% of the kill

9. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Well-Known Member

Yes I remember Derek saying to treat it like Orange Dream for sun tolerance. I had put it next to my Ukigumo but then yesterday realised that this time of year there is actually a 2 hours window between 1-3pm where the hottest sun beams right down through a narrow gap straight onto them!
    Needless to say I've moved the ukigumo over about a foot so now it only get about half an hour of sun.
    I've nestled the Metamorphosa into a little spot which gets no direct sun but is fairly bright for the morning. I've also pruned about 1/4 off as well to help it out, crossing branches etc as it was a bit of a mess.
    I've got several trees which I will be doing a proper soil change either in September or waiting until Spring, to get them out of the nursery stuff.

PXL_20220716_195124034.jpg

Acerholic, AlainK and Xi-feng like this.
  10. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Some more summer colours, coping with the dry sunny weather so far....

Shigitatsu sawa with a close-up of some of the most sun exposed leaves:
    IMG_20220716_195048.jpg IMG_20220716_195015.jpg

Bi hoo, gets full sun all morning till about 1pm and Sa oshika, gets full sun till 2 or 3pm:
    IMG_20220716_193938.jpg IMG_20220716_193852.jpg

Shishigashira backed by Osakazuki and Amagi shigure:
    IMG_20220716_194328.jpg IMG_20220716_194717.jpg

A new little one for me this year, Tennyo no hoshi, strong new growth and close-up of the older low down foliage:
    IMG_20220716_194101.jpg IMG_20220716_194044.jpg

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Here's one maple that doesn't mind the heat and sun: A. circinatum 'Sunglow'. It burns, but looks great doing it!

20220716_181731_v1.jpg 20220716_181752_v1.jpg 20220716_181805_v1.jpg 20220716_181822_v1.jpg
    Also a pic of our A. pseudoplatanus f. purpureum, wild collected near Nantes, France by a friend (well, who didn't want it in his garden). They grow wild along the coast of Bretagne, where they resist the salt and wind very well, and look wonderful in the bright sunshine. They are often shrubby, and this one seems very slow growing.

20220716_182037_v1.jpg

12. AlainK

Beautiful...

I can't find anything on this one. It it a shirasawanum ? Is the spelling correct ?

There are lots of red-leaves maples as street trees here, often alternating with a green variety. Are they the same ?

EDIT: No, I always have a doubt, so I checked and the ones I mentioned are platanoides, of course. "Norway maple", "Erable plane", whereas platanoides is "sycamore", "sycomore" in French... ^_^

PS : I must find a mnemonic device to remember.
    It's the same problem with Taxodium and Metasequioa : which one has opposite leaves, which one has alternate leaves (when you just have a close-up of the leaves) ?
    Like, for us French people : NPK... ?
    N is for "Azote" (Nitrogen, easier in English), P is Phospate, and K for Potassium.
    Ph... comes first in alphabetical order, so K is Po...tassium.

13. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Acer 'Saoshika', Amoenum group. It's a lovely maple, perhaps the least indented of the group. Ours is doing surprisingly well, though the leaves are small. It's in full sun for most of the day, from perhaps 11am. I just took these when I saw your post.
    20220717_193752_v1.jpg 20220717_193813_v1.jpg 20220717_193839_v1.jpg

Ack, you did it again! A. pseudoplatanus is "sycamore," I know you meant to say that. Fingers have a mind of their own.

Xi-feng and AlainK like this.
  14. AlainK

I'm afraid I don't have grey cells at the tips of my fingers... ^_^

There's no entry for 'Shoshika' in the list of "Acer "palmatum" cultivars" : could you start a new one, or move this thread ? Or a moderator could do it maybe ?

Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)

A+K

15. maf

@AlainK it is, as @emery said, Acer amoenum 'Saoshika'. I normally spell it without the space but for some reason I got the idea that I was doing it wrong and put a space in! I am sure there is a thread in the gallery, at least there used to be.....

16. AlainK

I can't find it, but it's "the" one I preferred in your pictures. It really deserves the right place in the "cultivars" sub-forum...

Moderator,
    Information,
    Give me 'shoshikaa' in the sub-forum...

Hey, the 80s were swinging... ;0)

17. maf

Here is what I think might be 'Azuma murasaki' dancing in the hot midday breeze earlier today. I actually have two of these, received as one year grafts over twenty years ago as 'Shigure bato', which they are clearly not! Whatever it really is, I enjoy the way the long branches move to the rhythm of the wind.

JT1, dicky5ash and Xi-feng like this.
  18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Mikazuki' taken this weekend. Grown in filtered sun. Unfortunately my good camera needed a charge, but the cellphone still managed to capture this closeup image. Love the veining in the first image, but even better in person.

With too much sun the leaves get too dark and saturated, so you lose this effect.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    dicky5ash, Cattwooduk, maf and 3 others like this.
  19. Atsoh

Atsoh New Member

01-02 > I recently bought the infamous Taylor, I have read that many of you have had a bad experience with this rogue, have a life expectancy of only three to four years, ..fingers crossed and simply appreciate the present moment.
    03-04 > Tiny new leaves for the seedlings I collected in the park, ..as emery suggested to me, the mother plant should belong to the Atropurpureum Group.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      430.5 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      250.4 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      213.5 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      236.9 KB
      Views:
    wind-borne, Xi-feng, emery and 5 others like this.
  20. dicky5ash

Asahi Zuru - great variegation this year

Attached Files:

wind-borne, Xi-feng, AlainK and 4 others like this.
  21. Cattwooduk

I saw a couple of these at my usual garden centre back in March before they were fully leafed out. Description on the tag made me picture Oridono Nishiki or Ukigumo so I didn't bother, maybe I should have grabbed one after all!

Has it been particularly tough for you so far?

22. dicky5ash

Hello - not sure what you mean?
    It’s a superb cultivar..no dieback issues..nice variegation every year..just looked super super nice this year IMO. I have several Orido Nishiki plants too, I can’t tell the difference between these cultivars but the tree above seems to have greater impact year on year..might just be it loves it’s location

23. Atsoh

Atsoh New Member

Absolutely splendid, ..I really really really like it!

dicky5ash likes this.
  24. Cattwooduk

Sorry yeah that was a lazy question. I meant has it had problems with dieback, does it burn easily, or suffer much from a little wind exposure etc.

It looks more striking white than my Oridono Nishiki, and a lot less pink! To me it looks rather like Ukigumo colouration on O N shaped leaves.
    What sort of position do you have it in?

25. dicky5ash

Hello - It’s a strong cultivar in my experience. I recall it didn’t like persistent rain for weeks one Spring a few years back and the leaves browned on the edges but other than that.

All the spring pink has now been and gone. It’s in a VERY wind sheltered spot and gets about 3 hours direct morning sun then bright but indirect for the remainder. My similar sized (2m) ON is in a more dappled sun position and doesn’t look as striking..I’ll move that one. My small ON has an identical display to the AZ.

I’ve seen a number of people comment that theirs is not doing much in terms of impactful display but their photos have shown small plants. My Baldsmith that was probably an 8 year old when I got it was very drab, just uninspiring for several years now is in my top 3.