Summer grafting - When to start

Discussion in 'Maples' started by GHGrower, Jun 8, 2009.

1. GHGrower

GHGrower Member

I have about thirty Acer palmatum seedling rootstocks ready for trying some summer grafting. The first problem I'm having, though, is that all the references I can find suggest different starting dates, anywhere from mid-June to late-July. Can anyone tell me when would be the best time to start? I am located Pine Mountain, GA, USA.
    Thanks,
    Fred

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Fred, not sure, but you may find some information searching { "Search this Forum'' box} for "summer grafting" to bring up previous threads.

3. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Fred,

I have had success as early as May 15th. Most of my grafting has been done from early June until late July. I have found greatest success if I can get a flush of new growth before dormancy. If I graft after early August, I usually don't get new growth before fall. You could graft before mid May, but the scions haven't hardened off well enough until then.

I leave the two terminal leaves on the scion and they usually make it without dropping off while the graft union mends.

Good luck,

Dale B.

4. GHGrower

GHGrower Member

Thanks Chimera and Dale,

Guess I can get started as soon as I have the free time then. I really appreciate your responses.

Fred

5. GHGrower

GHGrower Member

To update: Before I had a chance to get started with summer grafting, I noticed that most all my rootstock plants were starting to decline. The leaves were crinkling and drying out. I feared verticillium but, after doing some research, mostly on this forum, I found out that too much fertilizer can cause this. I had put controlled release fertilizer on top of the potting mix and I guess too much released during the hot weather we were having. I used a leaf blower to remove most of the fertilizer and some of the plants seem to be recovering to some extent. Maybe next year...