Sumac Bush

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Obe, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Obe

Obe Member

I transplanted a sumac bush and now it doesn't appear to be doing very well--it looks like it is in distress. I used a transplanter crystal that you add to water and apply to the root area, but it still doesn't look very healthy. I have been watering it every day and we have a lot of rain also lately. Any ideas please!!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably having trouble because you dug it in leaf during summer. Deciduous stock moves best when leafless.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Obe--it may look almost dead this summer, but try to be patient with it.

My neighbour moved a sumac in leaf a couple summers back, I thought it would be hopeless. The poor plant yellowed then dropped all it's leaves, but amazingly sprang back to life the following year and is now overwhelming their flower bed. This was a 6ft. tall sumac, so not just a little sucker that might be possible to move with most of it's root system...perhaps similar to your situation.

These trees can be pretty tenacious it seems ( I see one species in our dry hot interior that survives almost desertlike conditions). Which reminds me, try not to "overwater" your sumac now...as long as the soil is moist the roots can regrow, but too much water could begin to suffocate them, doing as much damage as too little...

4. Obe

Obe Member

Thank you so much for your advice--both of you--I believe I will try to be patient with this sumac and see if it might survive. Also, thanks for the overwatering tip--I probably would have done more harm by watering too much!! Obe