Suggestions

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Cattwooduk, Jun 22, 2022.

1. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions for a green, possibly darker green maple. It will need to tolerate full sun, and fairly high heat as it will be on a west facing position (sun from noon-8pm) in front of our bay window, so heat and light reflected off the house front. It will be between a Pung Kil and a Summer Gold, which is why I was thinking a darker green for maximum contrast.
    It also needs to be either cascading, or preferable more mounding/spreading... At the very least not so upright in growth that pruning can keep it below 5' without making it look silly.

So far my thoughts are -

Mikawa Yatsubusa - hard to find
    Emerald Lace - maybe a little too 'bright' green
    Japanese Sunrise
    Shishigashira - maybe too upright?
    Chitoseyama - maybe not full sun? - I really like the dull grey-green leaves on this but don't know much about it

Thanks,
    Chris

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Omureyama -The best weeper you will find out there that's not a dissectum with fall colours that are just stunning.
    Nicholsonii - Another well mounding tree with a three colour season change , very large leaved tree with vibrant red fall leaf. Both of these trees take full sun with no problems and are very fast growers and take well to heavy pruning.

3. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

Oh yes I'd forgotten Nicholsonii - my usual garden centre almost always have a couple and when I wander round they always catch my eye and I check to see why they are!
    Thanks!

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I agree with M @ROEBUK, Omureyama is an excellent green throughout Summer, and those Autumn colours are just a Wow.

5. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

Yeah having looked at some pictures Omureyama does look pretty spectacular in autumn! Looks like it gets quite big/tall though - will it take hard pruning enough to keep it tamed around 5' without spoiling it?

As it's going under/in front of a window I need something 'bonsaiable' .

I can only find them available at Burncoose for £80, but in a 7.5/10L pot so fairly established at least.

Having looked at lots of photos and reading various sellers descriptions, chitoseyama and nicholsonii seem very similar more or less - red spring colour turning bronze/green in summer then vivid scarlet in autumn. The only difference I can see is chitoseyama may be more red if in full sun?
    Similar mounding/spreading/cascading habit, and similar leaf shape. Both lovely trees!

Another one which may work is Sensu, from owners here it sounds like it will take a kicking from sun and heat, but I don't know much about it's growth habit? I've only had mine from Hippo for a few weeks and it's in morning sun then shade, so not sure what it's full sun colours would be. It's currently mostly red with green overlays towards the middle. It could be another candidate!

6. Acerholic

Chris, this my 6 year old Chitoseyama, kept at around 2 ft in height to fit in to it's location. I prune each March before bud break and again to thin out in June/ July. This photo is after thinning a few days ago. As you can see, I like it to be open and airy. This is about as dark a green as it goes btw.
    20220623_112237.jpg

Cattwooduk likes this.
  7. Otto Bjornson

Otto Bjornson Well-Known Member

If you like the shishigashira? checks the boxes with full sun, nice and compact, dark green thru out the summer. Beautiful fall colours as well, plus in the spring a bright green foilage opening.
    Our specimen is approx 50 years old now and I have pruned it to keep at the 6' ( just under 2 metres) mark for years. Always a conversation starter when walking thru the garden.

Attached Files:

maf and Acerholic like this.
  8. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

I'm really torn between the Nicholsonii and Chitoseyama... I can barely tell the difference from one photo to the next so I guess I couldn't go wrong with either.

I have one I've put in a pot and keep it fairly small. They seem to be incredibly tough. It's an option for sure, but I like the idea of adding something new to the collection. As is the way with a collecting addict I suppose.
    Yours looks very grand, lovely job you've done a it its structure over the years!

Otto Bjornson likes this.
  9. ROEBUK

Helping hand for you with Nicholsonii some more pics of my big one at the top of the garden in full sun for most of the day. The spring it comes out a almost beige/sandy colour then changes to green for summer then a stunning crimson red in the fall. The other pics are of the full large leaf and the weeping habit it also achieves, that's this years growth. This was cut back hard on the top from last year , you can see the top upward branches i cut off in the fall pic , some inner growth was also removed.

Attached Files:

Cattwooduk and Acerholic like this.
  10. ROEBUK

Omureyama will grow however you want it too , i have two one large ground grower and one potted the large one i cut back every other year , mainly on the inner part due to die back with the outer leaves blocking light , but this cultivar grows for fun!! Then a smaller potted one which again is very easy to look after i find , both have stunning fall colours as well. A couple of pics the potted from today and the large one from last fall.

Attached Files:

Cattwooduk, maf and Acerholic like this.
  11. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

Those
    Fall colours are insane, I can see you're trying to persuade me to an Omureyama! Just hesitant about a mail order tree at £80, it's a bit of a trek for me to get down to Burncoose nursery!

What is the tree to the left on the first picture?

I'm heading back to the garden centre to pick up the trolley of stuff I put aside but didn't have time to buy on Tuesday haha. I'll see what they have - I highly doubt they'll have an Omureyama but nicholsonii and Chitoseyama much more likely.

Anyone have a favourite between those two?

12. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

Only just noticed this post, I skipped right down to the Omureyama post when I saw it earlier.
    I really like that sort of sandy bronze green on the Nicholsonii in spring.

13. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

Stopped by the garden centre earlier, was hoping to find an Aureum and had a faint hope they may have an Omureyama - if they had one I would have seen it as fate and gone with that.
    Alas none in sight!

I did buy something in the end but first I have a game... These photos are both of Nicholsonii and Chitoseyama in the same shot, can you guess which are which?

And then guess which one I bought.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Photo 1 Omurayama and photo 2 Nicholsonii, and I think you bought the latter. Bet I'm totally wrong Chris... lol.

15. Cattwooduk

Cattwooduk Active Member

The first picture - top left bottom left the leaves are of Chitoseyama, Nicholsonii is on the right.

The second picture, along the bottom is Chitoseyama and the top is Nicholsonii.

There is such a small, subtle difference between the foliage. The Chitoseyama has the slightly more sandy leaves, and the Nicholsonii a little more 'fresh' green, although some of the outer leaves are impossible to tell apart.

I went with the Nicholsonii in the end because they had a bigger one so it can fill out the space faster when I hopefully plant it this autumn. I'l add a picture later.

16. Acerholic

Look forward to seeing it Chris. The bigger ones are that much stronger than the small grafts, so you should have a lot of success.