British Columbia: Suggestions please for low growing flowering perennials

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Border Collie, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Border Collie

Border Collie Member

Hi. First time posting, so thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have a well-drained bed that gets morning sun. It is somewhat shaded by adjacent cedars, and the area I would like suggestions about is under a pink dogwood. I have some empty space (horrors!) and would like suggestions for a low-growing perennial that would either havedecorative foliage, or flower throughout the summer. Other plants in the same bed are some hostas, flower carpet roses, and decorative grasses, and there is a PG hydrangea and some Japanese maples nearby that are doing very well. There is a built-in sprinkler system for the area, and I am looking for something that will do nicely without daily attention. Thank you!

2. mort

mort Active Member

It would be great to see a photo of the tree and the bed to get a sense of the light and space available. It sounds like you have both shade plants and sun loving grasses there.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Something with blue flowers that blooms at the same time as the dogwood.

4. Border Collie

Border Collie Member

Thanks for these suggestions - I will see about posting a photo. I was wondering about maybe some dwarf daylilies? (I know they aren't blue but there are also a couple of "Grace Ward" - forget the proper name! - in that bed already) I have some elsewhere and they seem to do well. Thoughts?

5. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

Some part shade/part sun ideas:

- Heuchura, "Key Lime" is a vibrant neon green, there are many other varieties with purble, amber, mottled multicolour foliage.
    - Astilbe
    - Sweet Woodruff
    - Persicaria
    - Bunchberry
    - Perennial Pansies
    - 'Knockout' Roses
    - Saxifrage
    - Lady's Mantle
    - Chamomile

Daylilies bloom best in full sun, 'Grace Ward' veronica also prefers full sun. Both will tolerate some shade but will not likely thrive. The fact you have irrigation means whatever you choose stands a better chance of establishing. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012