suggestions for evergreen purchase?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by tropix, May 7, 2005.

1. tropix

tropix Member

We are just about to move into our new home, in a new subdivision. They have taken down all trees, so we're starting from scratch. Our lot is about 50x110'. We're intent on having a "tropical" look to our landscape... well, as tropical as possible in Langley. I have a couple rhodos to plant in an oval bed in the front of our property, near the street, and would like to add something taller, and something evergreen(which will also serve to give the rhodos some dappled shade), however, I would like to know if there's something somewhat exotic looking that I'm not aware of? We have a couple of windmill palms for the front yard, and I'll be planting some fatsia japonica and some yuccas, any suggestions for an evergreen? any info. would be greatly appreciated!

2. Warren

Warren Member

Try this guy in Delta. He seems to have the tropical look down for our zone.
    http://tropic.ca/index.htm He was featured in the Times Colonist a couple of weekends ago. As for evergreens with a tropical look how about a Bamboo? he has several clumping types it you are worried about it getting away. Not many conifers have a tropical look but you could achieve a more unusual look through selective pruning; open the trunk up a little like a giant bonsai. Pines and Junipers work well for this.