Suggestion for small front yard tree

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by flowercents, Apr 11, 2005.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I'd love to have a tree with a bed around it in our front yard. My husband is nervous about the idea because he hates the lumpy lawn that can happen because of the roots on some trees growing too close to the surface. Do all trees do this as they mature? We live in zone 7.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

roots of trees grow on the surface because people try to grow grass right up to the trunk of the tree and water the area as if it only has grass on it (roots 3 inches deep or less) when in fact the tree wants to see some water a few inches deeper than that to encourage deep, healthy roots to stabilize it for a long life with the ability to withstand periodic drought and enhance its ability to find nutrients... I am speaking in generalities but the gist is true. give a small shade tree an area about its roots that has nice coarse bark mulch around it and no grass. expand that area as the tree grows, dont plant geraniums and pansies there, JUST bark or mulch. water your lawn 1 or 2 times a week and give it LOTS of water when you do, this will also give your lawn a nice deep root system. Make certain your soil has suficient drainage to allow for percolation when moisture is added, this will also help discourage surface rooting.

:) as for a nice small shade tree, think about Styrax species, Magnolia sieboldii, Acer griseum, Stewartia pseudocamellia (I know it MAY get big some day), Cornus florida rubra, Davidia involucrata (takes a long time to bloom) and not least nor hopefully last... Cercis canadensis "Forest Pansy".

*end of sermon*

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Roots naturally grow near the surface, where the air is. In a humid woodland tips of tree roots may even pop out of the litter layer and grow back in, like surfacing dolphins. The damp atmosphere of the rainforest allows many plants to divorce themselves from the soil entirely and grow on rocks and trees.

Soak-and-dry watering regimes may be hard on roots, by depriving them of air one time and giving them too much the next.

"Proper watering is critical to the establishment of plants in the landscape. Excess water, especially where drainage is marginal or poor, can be as undesirable as insufficient water. Container-grown plants must be watered at a moderate rate frequently to aid rapid establishment". - Carl E. Whitcomb, Establishment and Maintenance of Landscape Plants

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Flower,

Great advice so far. Some trees are also more prone to having surface roots then others. It depends on which tree you select as well as how you care for it. Maples and locust trees are notorious for having large surface roots. These sites should be very helpful.

How tree roots grow and how to mulch:
    http://www.mortonarb.org/research/treeroots.html
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/WO017
    http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.asp

This site is helpful as it lists many trees and tells if they have significant litter, mature size, tree roots that lift sidewalks, etc.
    http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/index.htm

Newt

6. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

I agree with the advice of not planting annuals or water-needy perennials among the tree roots. But you could tuck in bulbs of eranthis, snowdrops, scilla, crocus, etc., which don't need supplemental water after their foliage has ripened and dried. Just clean up the old foliage and let the bulbs alone. Too much mulch might be a bad thing; it can rot the bark if it's piled up near the tree trunk.

7. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

a dwarf japanese maple always looks nice! with our without and plantings surrounding it.

8. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

How about a flowering dogwood tree, flowering crabapple, redbud, weeping pea tree, weeping hydrangea tree, Those are all small flowering trees that don't push up the ground around them. If your looking for a tree that grows larger maybe a Linden tree. They smell like lilies of the valley when they bloom. They grow slow so it would take a long time for them to push up the ground. My friends trees are 17 years old and probably 30feet tall. My Linden is about10 years old and 15 ft. Here is a picture of the lindin tree.
    The Linden tree on the far left, first tree. My redbud is next to the house blooming a light purple and the crimson crabapple is to the left of the redbud. The other photo is a weeping hygrangea tree.
    Hope this helps. :>)

Attached Files:

9. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

10. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Depends on what tree you get.

I have no problem planting some things that like moisture under small trees, especially if the small tree can be found growing in areas where there is frequent rain and moisture.

In fact, look at the redwoods with all the ferns. There is regular rain or dripping from rain and mist and fog - even in summer time. Around many redwoods you will see ferns, oxalis, evergreen huckleberry, etc..

Smaller trees often have smaller roots and less problems for lawns - vine maple, Japanese maple, dogwood, Chitalpa; maybe even Stewartia.

If you plant around it, think about plants that can get by with watering every few days to every few weeks.

11. Karalyn

Karalyn Active Member

Very nice front garden. I don't think I've ever heard of a weeping Hydrangea. Looks nice.

I agree with MD VAden, I have many things planted under my fruit bearing cherry trees.

Even my very old Silver mapale that I want to get rid of. I didnt' plant it. But I have a rose bush near it, clematis, hostas, lamium columbines, etc. But the tree does take away some moisture, not sure, but it sufferes from scale and it is coming down as my other two very large silver maples.

What about a Contorted Filbert?

ti