Suggested Change to Quick Reply

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I usually preview my replies before posting. To do so I have to click More Options... then Preview.... The following add-on removes one extra click and subsequent page load:

Automatic Reply Preview
    The last compatible XF version supported by this add-on is 1.4 but the author may provide an update for 1.5 if given a nudge. Please consider installing this add-on when it becomes available.

Alternatively, there's Quick Reply Preview but it appears to be a less elegant solution.

wcutler likes this.
  2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I suspect if there's a preview, a lot of people will forget to click the second time, so posts will be lost ;-)

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There IS a preview now, but it's an extra click to get to it. It's more obviously a preview in this system than in vBulletin, where I only lost a few posts. :)
    Here too, the drafts are kept, though I'm not sure for how long. Hmm, something to test.

4. wcutler

For new threads, Preview is right there! That's when people have gone to the trouble to upload photos and give descriptions. If it's not a problem for new posts, it shouldn't be more of a problem for replies.
    Why would the set of buttons even be different anyway?
    I'm not seeing any difference between Quick Reply and any other reply.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Add-on installed, let me know if it has the desired effect. Doesn't seem to be working for me?

6. Junglekeeper

Nothing for me either but then the add-on is not stated as supporting XF 1.5. You may want to urge author to update.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's possible a template / file is being cached and not updated. Let me see what happens in Chrome.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, that did the trick. Some code is cached in your browser, so it won't work until you clear the cache.

9. Junglekeeper

Tried that but it didn't work here.

10. Daniel Mosquin

What browser are you using? Works in Chrome on PC and Safari on iOS.

11. Junglekeeper

Firefox in Windows.

12. wcutler

What are we looking for? A Preview button on the bottom right of the posting area ? In addition to the other buttons? Does it replace the More Options button, in which case then you can't set the other options?
    If I'm looking in the right place, it looks the same to me: Post Reply, Upload a File, More Options... in Chrome, Firefox and Edge, after clearing the cache when I did not have a reply area on the screen.

13. Daniel Mosquin

No, it doesn't replace. If you click on More Options, you then don't have to click on Preview to see the preview. The preview pane is already displayed.

14. wcutler

OH, sorry, I got confused. Again.
    In Chrome, displayed.
    In Edge, not displayed, but it showed my draft.
    In Firefox, it didn't even display the draft.
    I can check them separately. My get out of here alarm is going.

15. wcutler

Now starting in Firefox; it's not sending the draft to the other browsers either. And no preview pane when I click More Options.

16. Daniel Mosquin

This info isn't useful to me unless I know the cache has been cleared, sorry. I also don't know why you are mentioning drafts -- I'm not certain how those are affected? All this was supposed to do is remove the step of having to click on a second button.

17. wcutler

You're right, irrelevant, except that it's an indication that Firefox isn't behaving the way the others are anyway. Yes, I cleared cache on all three.

18. Daniel Mosquin

Ok, confirmed on a separate computer that it doesn't seem to work in Firefox on PC. I'll let the add-on author know.

19. Junglekeeper

In my case (Firefox), everything appears to work as before, as if the add-on had not been installed. The text in the Quick Reply box is being carried over to the next screen.

20. Daniel Mosquin

Yes, that is what the author intimated. If it doesn't work as intended, it will instead use the standard XenForo method: Automatic Reply Preview

21. wcutler

I can't swear this is new, but I think so: when I edit a resource now in Chrome, the preview is at the top of the page and I have to scroll to get to the entry area at the bottom. That's not the case in Firefox, and I did almost all the entries in Firefox to try to keep the formatting the same, as it was different in each browser. It's also not the case in Edge. I'm wondering that's related to the change you did, which also only displays for me in Chrome.

It's only a problem for someone who hasn't learned that it's a preview at the top and that one has to scroll to get to the entry area, which could be way down. It does say Preview, in teeny little letters.

22. Daniel Mosquin

Re: those using Firefox -- the author of the add-on would like to know what version you are using.

23. Junglekeeper

Firefox 12.0 (I know, I know...)

24. wcutler

On Windows 10, Firefox says 42.0. Just for the record, Chrome is 46.0.2490.86, same as on my laptop.
    See below, same behaviour on Firefox 40.0.3 on Win XP.

As of Sunday afternoon, I will be on my laptop, Win xp (can't install Win 10 on it and the MS website says Edge is "exclusively for Windows 10", though I remember something from them about how I should install it right away even before getting Windows 10), and right now have Firefox and Chrome.

So I thought I should see how it behaves. The first thing I see in Firefox 40.0.3 is a message: "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running on forums. botanicalgarden.ubc.ca."
    I have no idea what it's not doing. It displayed the photos I looked at right away. It did not display the preview pane. Chrome 46.0.2490.86 does display it. The behaviour with the Resource files update is the same as on my desktop - that's admittedly only affecting a very few people who can be told what to expect, but I only included it in case it gave some hint as to what affects what.

25. Daniel Mosquin

Flash is used for the photo uploading mechanism. If Flash isn't present, it degrades to a different system.

I had been using Firefox 36.0.4 on a laptop and Firefox 42.0 on a desktop PC, and had the issue in both. Just updating the laptop version now, yep, same issue. Ok, I'll let the developer know.