succulents

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by amyb, Apr 9, 2005.

1. amyb

amyb New Member

hello everyone- my succulents are becoming very weak! i recently repotted both my jade and aloe plants with catus soil and also waited a few days to water them. i've noticed recently that both plants are quite spongy and weak. what can i do? also, on a side note-- my aloe seems to be recovering, but last fall it took on some dark spots. nothing i could rub off, and none of the younger arms seem to have been effected. i left it outside overnight a few times. would that have anything to do with it? just wondering... thank you.

2. MiniBot

MiniBot Member

Could be from the shock of transplanting it. Check the roots for health first. Next, make sure the soil you are using isn't too compacted so that the water is getting to the roots. When you are checking the roots for health, make sure there is no rot. Also, take cutting for rooting and regrowing your jade should you lose it (hopefully it has already recovered and you don't need to make a new one).

minibot

3. Linda Poon

Linda Poon Member

Cactus soil is often too rich in organic matter. Organic matter impedes drainage which may be why your plant are becoming spongy and weak. You can incorporate gravel or coarse sand into your potting mix to ensure good drainage.

The dark spots on your aloe may be an indication of bruising or fungal disease.

Linda