succulent id's needed

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by joclyn, Sep 15, 2007.

1. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

bought two plants today that i need help to identify. sorry, no camera so i can't post pics.

#1 has thick fleshy leaves that are triangular in form - the thicker part is near the tip. growth is on a single stem/stalk with new growth that starts as as a single leaf that eventually splits into two leaves that will grow out/down as the new growth comes up from the center. i don't see any branching. the mature leaves have spiky hairs on the edges (they're stiff at the base and then the tips flop over a bit - they are not sharp). the mature leaves also have whit markings.

due to the white markings, i think this might be a haworthia. with the spines on the edges the leaf pairs almost look like an open alligator mouth...

#2 has long ovalish/paddle shaped leaves that are a bit fleshy. growth is from a stem/stalk and new growth is one leaf. i do not see any branching. the leaves at the top of the plant: some are opposite in growth and others are alternate. leaves towards the base are varied and none are opposite. plant is a medium green. where the leaf meets the stem there is a purplish tone and the newest leaves also have this purple tone around the edges of the leaves.

sorry for no pics (still waiting to get a new camera); hopefully i've been descriptive enough for someone to give me an id! thanks!!

2. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

u need to find a way to get some pics haha or something on the internet thats close to yours succulent

3. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Maybe its time to finally get that new camera?

Why do you need them identified so badly?

Having some difficulty interpreting your descriptions.

#1 Faucaria sp. maybe?

#2 could be a lot of things.

4. joclyn

i needed to id them, steve, so that i could care for them properly - they were things i'd not ever seen before.

the first was faucaria and the second is senecio.

i can't grow faucaria!! the senecio is doing okay...i lost one of the plants in the pot - the other is holding though.

i did get a camera a couple of weeks after posting this...didn't update this post with pics because i'd forgotten it was here! i'd managed to get id's with just the descriptions on another forum.

cody, another to add to your list of houseplants is senecio - some very nice types in the group. all are very different/interesting looking, too!!

5. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

I'd love to see pics of these! I grow senecio and always love to find new ones. Maybe I like them because I just can't seem to kill them. Best of luck with yours.

6. joclyn

the faucaria bit the dust pretty quickly...still not sure what went wrong. real shame as it was one of the much more 'oh, cool' type of plants! the senecio is still hanging in.

Attached Files:

7. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

ha, ok i surely will look into that if i can find one which i am sure i can!!

8. constantgardener

Oh, hate to hear the "tigers jaws" bit it! (sorry for the pun, couldn't help it!) Mine is blooming now...seems to bloom whenever it's in the mood. It was the third succulent I ever got, we fought the epic Battle of the Mealies, the squirrels knocking it off the stand and breaking the pot, feels like an old friend by now. Try another one!

9. joclyn

i got it at longwood gardens which is more than an hour away from me (almost two, actually). i've not seen it anywhere locally. i did get two other types of faucaria locally...both bit it fairly quickly. and i did everything as i was supposed to. same with the lithops.

all to no avail :(

schefflera won't grow for me either...or purple passion.

i've been periodically getting the purple passion plants since i was in high school (which was a lllloooonnnnngggg time ago, lol)...i had one manage to make a year with me...most die around the six month point. i really LOVE that purple passion too...

give me an av and i'll have it forever though. just doesn't make sense!!

10. constantgardener

I don't grow my "tiger" the way you're supposed to. Didn't know there was a "way" until I had it a couple of years, and we were like an old married couple by then! When ever I've tried to grow any of the mesembs or allies the right way, they die. Oh, well, that's the gardening game!

11. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

The first was definitely a Faucaria sp. Mesembs need plenty of direct sunlight to do well. They are not the best for growing indoors unless you have a greenhouse.

The second is Senecio crassissimus. This one also needs much sunlight to grow well but is not as picky as Mesembs. Had you mentioned the leaves were falcate and flattened laterally, it would have narrowed down the choices considerably.

12. joclyn

thanks, steve! i was still a bit new at things...and had NO idea how to describe those leaves!! and not having a camera at the time didn't make it easier!

the senecio is still growing...i did lose two of the pieces in the container, though.