Succulent ID?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Sandra75, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

What is the ID of this Succulent?

Attached Files:

2. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

Hi. Looks like crassula perforata, also called string of buttons. It should have tight growth with the leaves stacked almost right on top of each other. You might check how much light it's getting. Wonderful thing about these plants is you just can't kill them; I've taken tops off my starter plant (which makes it start two stems at that point) and stuck them in damp compost and it's almost instant new plant to share with friends.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, crassula perforata and yes, it should have a tight growth pattern. needs a bit more sun for the leaves to be more compacted in their growth.

mine has split into two stems in numerous spots and i've haven't topped any of them off (yet). there was one piece that broke off when i was taking the plastic wrapping off of it and that rooted almost immediately.

it's a nice plant - and very, very, low care!

4. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Its now on my south facing window. so its getting plenty of sun. I just wonder how much sun is ok because the 'rossettes' are like red-ish on the edges?

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

a lot of the crassula's will redden a bit on the tips if they get a good amount of sun. i wouldn't worry about it.

i'll put mine in the south facing window and see if the same happens with mine. you might have a variegated variety...i'll let you know!

6. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

OK, when/if red-ish tips are more obvious I'll take a pic and show it on here. Thank you!

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The reddish tint on the leaves, or even a purplish color is just a reaction to sunlight and would fade when given less light.