Succulent fertiliser

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by DamienO'Connor, Aug 23, 2006.

1. DamienO'Connor

DamienO'Connor Active Member

At the moment i have a jade plant in a pot. it isnt doing fantastic - it isnt very developed. ive been told to fertilise with a cactus fertiliser, though i dont want to buy this if ive only got one succulent, and anyway im having trouble finding it as well. what is a good all round fertiliser for all potted plants? maybe i can mix in some osmocote (slow release fertiliser) with my soil mix. if so how much do i need to put in?

thanks for all you help....

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Succulents don't like much food. I think you would do best to use any balanced food (20-20-20, 20-30-20, etc) mixed at 1/4 - 1/8 strength. Cactus food is really very weak balanced plant food.

For your jade, only feed while it is growing. If you feed it now then you won't have to for the rest of the season.

3. DamienO'Connor

DamienO'Connor Active Member

i dont know much about fertiler. ive just looked up on google that 'many fertiliser mixtures only specify their Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P) and Potassium (K) content.' is this what the 20:20:20 is - how is it measured (i.e 20 of what exactly?)
    what is a good 20-20-20 fertiliser??
    i looked up thrive but it is 15-4-26 - which i guess wouldnt be as good? coz smaller number i mean.. :)

thank you
    -sorry about all the obvious questions but i am new to plants all together-