Styrax Japonica -- peeling bark

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Eleanor, May 29, 2005.

1. Eleanor

Eleanor Member

Is it normal for the bark of a Japanese Snowbell tree to peel at this time of year? I do not remember peeling of this magnitude previously, and we've lived with this tree for 31 years! I wonder if the tree is under stress or has something else wrong with it. It was pruned last autumn, if that is relevant.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, I don't believe that's normal. Would you be able to post a photograph?

3. Eleanor

Eleanor Member

I have a photo of the tree. I can post other pictures as well if you can't see the bark clearly enough on this one.

Attached Files:

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

sumpthin a little closer yet would be good.

5. Eleanor

Eleanor Member

Here are two other photos. (I had to reduce the size of all of them in order to attach them. ) I think you can see more detail when you click on the photos to enlarge them.

Attached Files:

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Eleanor--this is one big old styrax...I've seen nothing like it around here for size/age. Does anyone think it's actually getting toward the end of it's lifespan and falling prey to fungi/bacteria that a younger tree would be able to fight off?

The other question is, on the right hand photo, there are 3 branches arising from the trunk, I wonder what is on the back side of the trunk there...is it hollow or a large pruning scar from taking out another major branch, possibly bad stuff going on in there...or does it look real good. Just trying to imagine what that part of the trunk looks like that the photo doesn't show...facing the house.

Glen

7. Eleanor

Eleanor Member

I think the tree is about 50 years old. Maybe. We've been in the house for 32 years and it was much smaller when we moved in. The picture to the left of the one you are talking about is the view from the other side of the tree.