Strelitzia leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by soccerdad, Jun 11, 2009.

1. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I put my six strelitzia on the back porch. They only get sun for the first and the last few hours of the day and they are kept well watered.

Their leaves are now curling into the form of a tube.

I would attribute this to lack of water (curling to reduce respiration) or excess heat/sunlight (curling to avoid the sun). But it can't be either of those.

Any suggestions?

I can post pictures - but only once our camera is fixed.

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Did you temper the plants? IE: it takes over two weeks to allow direct sunlight on the foliage of our plants.... the sun will kill them if they have not been hardened... cover with a silk cloth/mesh during the day... for to or more weeks, depending on the cloud cover and solar insolation.

3. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I don't think that's the problem:

1. I have had them in their present spot for a few weeks, and

2. They are on the North side of the house and so only get direct light early and late in the day.

4. namawa

namawa Active Member

I have a rear deck that only gets morning sun, and hard as I've tried to avoid it, a few plants have still suffered sunburn from placing them out there after the winter indoors.

The damage will often take a couple of weeks to show up. Is there any browning along with the curling of the leaves?

Another issue could be temperatures....what have your night-time temperatures been?
    If the plants are both moist AND cool at night, that could cause problems.

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Curling leaves can be caused by several reasons....

Too much sun/heat, cold, over-watering or under-watering, over-potted, pot-bound or insects.