strawberry worms-not omnivorous leaftier

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by 2weety, Jun 28, 2010.

1. 2weety

2weety Member

tiny worms eating my strawberries. pic shows them compared to omnivorous leaftier.
    please help. i'm ready to trash the bed.

Attached Files:

2. 2weety

2weety Member

here are the worms by themselves. i hope you can see them.
    some are dark brown, some are lighter in color.

Attached Files:

3. 2weety

2weety Member

ok i can't photograph them under my lupe, but I have now identified that my 'worms' are actually centipedes and millipedes. I don't think I will ever eat another strawberry. please help me before I try something I will regret!

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am not the best with pest ID's, but they look like wireworm. Are these in all the fruit or mostly just the ones close to the ground?

5. 2weety

2weety Member

I have now positively identified them with a lupe. They are centipedes and millipedes. and yes, they are on the ground.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, I'm not seeing the legs, either for centipedes (1 per segment) or millipedes (2 per segment)... but maybe the legs are too small to show in your photographs. Centipedes tend to be carnivores while millipedes tend to be detritivores (eaters of decayed tissue) as well.

7. 2weety

2weety Member

The legs are there. All million. and mine (legs) are the only carne.
    They are both eating the strawberries.
    I would like to get rid of them....these vegetarian millipedes.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I mention the "close to the ground" part, because I have problem with pill bugs getting into my strawberries, but if I tie the plants up or somehow support the fruit to keep them away from the ground they don't get into them. I am wondering if your pest is a ground dweller as well.

9. 2weety

2weety Member

Definitely a ground dweller. I think I'll make something to give them a lift off the ground. Maybe a tube of formed chickenwire... or barbed wire.
    hehehehe

10. 2weety

2weety Member

No more problems. I simply looped the berries to hang on top of the leaf stems.. and i am using diatomaceous earth to stop the slugs. Thanks for your help!!

11. CHARIJI

CHARIJI Member

Straw placed around your plants keep the fruit off the ground--my berries only get those tiny white worms on them when they are lying on the ground.
    For pill bug pxs, put little piles of cornmeal around the plants; they eat the meal, puff up, and 'blow up', as someone told me! Has to be done often, though-(ie after a rain, watering, etc.)