Identification: Strange tree fungus.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Jay, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Jay

Jay Member

Here's a fungus that I've seen in this area many times. I've only ever found it on trees that are still standing, but I have seen pieces of this laying on the ground occasionally. When I see them on trees it's always shooting right out of the bark, all tangled up and going many directions. Its a pale/dark green with tiny little grey bubbles on it. It's like nothing I've seen before. Any ideas? http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33771&stc=1&d=1202925254

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Can you get a closer focus shot?

3. Jay

Jay Member

Here's a better shot of the tree fungus. You can see the bubble type things on the first one there. My camera is unfortunately a Kodak Dual Lens Ultrawide: great for panaramic landscape shots, horrible for things closer than a few feet.

Attached Files:

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It looks lichenous to me. Don't suppose you have a scanner instead?

Ah, I think I have it. Shape-wise, it looks like a dead-ringer for the photograph on page 622 of Ramalina celastri in the Lichens of North America book (in North America, this lichen only occurs in southern Texas). The common name is palmetto lichen.

There is a photograph on New Zealand's Hidden Forest site of this species, but that individual looks quite different from what you've illustrated and the photograph in the book.

Aha - go here: Amazon, then search for 622, then click "on Page 622" to see the photograph.

5. Jay

Jay Member

Thanks Daniel, I sure don't have a scanner. I looked up a few images of Ramalina celastri on the web. It looks like a definate positive ID. I'll be at the library later today though, I'll see what else I can pull up. I'm not in New Zealand, but this looks almost exactly like what's in those pictures. Especially the little 'apothecia' on the surface.