Straightening a leaning tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by KarinL, Jun 24, 2006.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a tree - a Eucalyptus, in case it matters - that began leaning at some point in its growth. The trunk is quite straight, though, so I tied it upright last fall (tied to a street tree that should be able to take the pull). When the rope rotted through this spring, the tree leaned right back into its old position. I've now tied it again, but it strikes me that it might be kind of pointless... unless I maybe root prune it so that it forms new roots that hold its new position rather than its old? It is quite big by now - perhaps 20 feet.

I'd appreciate any pointers on how best to proceed, or if there is any point in trying.

2. kalmia

kalmia Active Member

What is around it? Is it leaning away from the other tree? Is it lop-sided because of lack of light on one side?

I don't think right now is the best time of year to prune roots.

3. Rima

Rima Active Member

Could there be a soft spot under the one side, a gap due to ??, that's causing the lean? You may have to dig down to check and decide whether to shore it up or not. Maybe the sun is strong on the leaning side, and unusually blocked by something on the other?

4. KarinL

Now that you guys mention it, it seems so obvious that I'm embarassed that I didn't think of it before, but the light is probably the reason for the lean; it is leaning southeast toward the sun which is blocked from the southwest by my house and a huge conifer, although it is tall enough now to get sun most of the afternoon. I don't think there is anything going on underground that needs to be shored up.

I realize I shouldn't rootprune now - fall, or spring perhaps. If that would help, that is. Thanks for the input!

5. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would not touch the roots of a eucylypt. They are not huge at the best of times. You would not believe the small root balls on 60 ft+ gums here when they come down. In relation to the tree there is not much.

Liz

6. KarinL

Well, now I know :-). Ah well, the tree in question had a limited life expectancy anyway as my husband dioesn't like it and doesn't like where it is... so an upcoming garden redesign (when we are released from the clutches of a giant neighbouring conifer) would likely have displaced it anyway. Not to mention that the lean put it in an aggressive position vis a vis the neighbour's house, which wasn't neighbourly.

7. KarinL