Story topic: Plant Theft

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Anyone want to share any stories about plant theft? There have been several stories in the local news lately - we'll try to get them posted in the weblog / community news section of the site.

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Here is the link to the Community News article on local plant theft:
    Local Thieves Haul Off Trees

I have never lost any plants myself, just a few choice flowers. The theft of potted items is one thing, but someone actually digging up a tree is hard to imagine.

3. Camilo

Camilo Member

Is this also considered plant theft?

Yes, digging a tree would be unlikely... but this summer as I was in the Bot. Garden I could tell when someone had purposedly taken a piece of a plant just for their house or something.

And how about that tree massacre on English bay (At least I think that is where it was happening), where someone poisoned a few old trees over a matter of months just because they were in their way.
    Isn't that plant theft also?

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Nothing new in plant theft

About 10 years ago I was working on a home in the 4400 block West 1st in Vancouver. The house behind (presumably on W 2nd) was gutted for renovation and during a pause in their work a lovely cherry was removed with a tree spade. Rumor had it that an unpaid landscaper had settled his account!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Son of late friend who used to operate a nursery at his home down the hill was awakened one summer evening while sleeping out on the grounds by people walking past with potted plants in their hands. Resulting vehicle chase through downtown eventually led to them pulling off. It was a landscaper and his customer, stealing plants to put in the customer's yard.

6. gobo

gobo Active Member

at the strathcona community gardens we have good and bad years for theft; sometimes just one cur can make all the difference. a few years back the scourge was seen regularly on commercial drive beside a handmade sign selling the "organic produce" he had just pulled from our plots. all manner of remedies were suggested, few or which were pleasant to imagine, but this is what was worked: someone got a pic of him, which was then copied and posted throughout the neighbourhood...and he hasn't been seen since.