stinkhorn question 'mutinus caninus'

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Joan in Delaware, May 25, 2009.

1. Joan in Delaware

Joan in Delaware Member

Thanks to Violetsky888's earlier post about a vulgar scary fungus, I can now stop calling these things in the garden by the other name I was using.
    Does anyone have any idea if these stinkhorns are what could be shooting or spraying brown specs on side of the house. The specs are only on the one side of the house where these grow. We've tried power washing but they are quite stubborn. Even scraping with a fingernail won't remove them.
    Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    I have to say that I have really enjoyed reading some of the threads in this forum. Very informative and helpful but pretty darn funny too.
    Thanks!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not the stinkhorn, no, they don't shoot their spores out like that.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Speck photo...?

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

If you can possibly get a really good close-up image of the specks that'd be great? Definately not spore from you're stinkhorns though. The spore kinda more 'floats' in very light almost unseen clouds rather then shooting bombs at houses :o)
    Also? What kind of siding is this appearing on? Is it wood/paneling...and any kind of paint? Is it on a moist or sunny side or.....

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Sounds more like some kinda mold.

6. LAB

LAB Member

I have these stinkhorns in my lawn and garden and want to see if someone can tell me how to get rid of them for good

7. LAB

LAB Member

They are definitely stinkhorns and are a form of mushroom. I saw them on the Botanical Garden web site. Apparently a lot of people have them and they are caused from wood mulch (the site is very informative except nothing about how to be rid of them for good). Looking for ideas.

8. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Cyathus striatus is well known to shoot it's brown spore-capsules some distance. They are known to cover the lower third of cars as well. This of course, is just an idea - however, it is one that can be easily disproved.

9. LAB

LAB Member

I guess I have been lucky so far, the "Stinkhorns" in our lawn and garden are not hear our house as yet but they still are awful looking and I would just like to know how to get rid of them so they will not return. The only information I can get is that they come from mulch. Now I'm afraid to put down new mulch which I have not yet done this season.!!!!

10. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years