status of Adiantum capillus-veneris at UBC botanical garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Unregistered, Jun 11, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone knew the status of Adiantum capillus-veneris at the garden? (accession# 012164-0284-1975). I stumbled across a specimen at the UBC herbarium collected from the garden that was grown from material collected from the "famous" BC population at Fairmont Hotsprings. I was interested to know if anything remains of it in the garden to this day and if so where it may be found.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

A good question - it is still listed as being alive in the collections, but I have my doubts. I'll ask around this week.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

From what I've been able to glean, I think it's dead. We don't really have a suitable spot for it in the Native Garden, so it probably needed some focussed horticultural care, which hasn't been in place for that area for quite some time due to various restraints.

4. Sorry, I don't mean to beat this thread to death but I examined the specimen in person today and found more to the note about the origin of the plant. According to the note, it was grown for 22 years in a greenhouse. Therefore it would not have been planted in the native garden after all, and perhaps still kicking around in some greenhouse at the garden? Thank you for all your effort.

5. Daniel Mosquin

I'll ask around and see what I come up with.