Starting Gardenia from a clipping

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by GinnyLee, Jul 17, 2007.

1. GinnyLee

GinnyLee Member

do you know how to start a gardenia from a clipping

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Re: Fruity Smelling White Flower

I have never tried it, but I believe it is not too difficult to root cuttings of gardenia and now would be a good time. Try a fresh 15cm (6in) tip cutting. Remove any flowers. Some people have success just putting them in water--it takes a while for roots to form, you might have to replace the water occasionally. I usually dip plant cuttings in rooting hormone (just a bit) and place them in a large sealed bag. This holds moisture and keeps the cutting from drying out while it forms roots. There are many methods to root cuttings.

Another method that should work for gardenia is to find a low branch close to the soil. Bend it down until it is in contact with the moist soil (somewhere in the middle of the branch leaving the leafy tip exposed so that it can continue to grow) and put a weight to hold it there. Mulch over that spot on the branch. Keep moist and after roots are well formed, you can sever the branch and plant up the new gardenia.

3. GinnyLee

GinnyLee Member

Re: Fruity Smelling White Flower

Thanks that was very imformative, I will try both ways, and see which works best.